onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Edmonton Oilers are in big trouble...Dwayne Roloson out for series

Do you think the Oilers stand a chance now? This is a big blow to Edmonton.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- How's Edmonton's goaltender? Not good.

Oilers coach Craig MacTavish announced after Monday's Game 1 that Dwayne Roloson is out for the rest of the postseason with an apparent knee injury.

MacTavish didn't have any specifics on the injury, which Roloson suffered late in the third period after being hit into the right post. Ty Conklin took over, but he made an error behind the net that led to Carolina's game-winning goal by Rod Brind'Amour with 31.1 seconds remaining.

MacTavish said he will make a decision Tuesday on his Game 2 starter and didn't rule out the possibility of "platooning" between Conklin and Jussi Markkanen.

Roloson has been a key player in Edmonton's surprising postseason run. The Oilers sneaked into the playoffs by clinching the eighth seed in the Western Conference on the second-to-last day of the regular season.

After Conklin, Michael Morrison and Jussi Markkanen struggled in net, Edmonton acquired Roloson on March 8 from Minnesota for a first-round draft choice and a conditional pick. Roloson allowed 13 goals in losing his first three games with the Oilers but dramatically improved when it counted.

Roloson, who stopped 19 shots Monday, was staked to a 3-0 lead but couldn't protect it. He entered with a 12-5 mark in the playoffs with a 2.22 goals-against average.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9422

I'm glad I only took Edmonton in the series, though I liked them in Game 1. What a loss, and they lose Rolason? Unreal.

Carolina is a never give-up team, but they are so frecking lucky in these games.

Sometimes these new goalies can stand on their heads, but this is a tough assignment now.

I don't know how Edmonton can announce Rolason is done less than 1 hour after the game? Hopefully, McTavish was just frustrated.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Ty Conklin is the one that looked like screwed up that gave up that late goal to the Canes. He seem to hit it off the board to hard behind the net trying to control for Edmonton, and it popped out for the open net goal.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

that sucks for edmonton backers in this series.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

well I am an Edmonton Backer... I wanted to wait to see how Game one unfolded and maybe get a price to Hedge The Canes down 1-0... Alas...

Here we are.. Face to Face.. A Couple of Silver Spoons!

I kind of "forgot" what the term "worst case scenario" really meant...

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

There's always the possibility of a "miraculous" recovery by Roli for game 3... MacT is just playing up the day-to-day injury... Just can't see it though

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I never gave the Oilers much of a chance anyways. They will take one game at home and lose the series in five.