DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8451

NY Rangers are an embarrassment to the NHL

NY Rangers are an embarrassment to the NHL

the New York Rangers won the race to sign former Dallas Stars center Brad Richards. Darren Dreger of TSN reports the deal is for nine years and $60 million, an average hit of $6.67 million.

An relatively average/to above average Center is going for 60 Million? What a joke!

Let's face it, Glen Sather always complained about the small market teams not having a fair shake compared to the big market clubs. Then he goes to NY and spends like an idiot.

Brad Richards career stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35725

I hope NYR finished 9th or lower next season. What a disgrace.

Last edited by DwightShrute; 07-03-11 at 01:31 PM.

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

dont know a whole lot about sather. But Richards got overpaid with 6.67million/year. Way overpaid. That is a lot of money for one player in the nhl because of the salary cap. Although, i believe this year teams get... what is it, 3 or 6 million added to salary cap this year? not sure, but i believe the salary cap expands this year.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Over the first 2 years of his contract he's getting 24 million!!!! That's 12 mil a year for a guy who will greatly improve your team but won't make you a cup contender alone. How many more years until the next lockout?

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

toronto was offering him less years and more then 6.7mil a season... alot of players got overpaid this offseason.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

The contract is bad but not surprising considering the weak free agent crop and the rising cap. Richards is at least a first line center who can average a point per game setting up Gaborik.

The contracts given to Bryzgalov, Wisniewski, Leino, and Ehrhoff were worse imo. No where near the track record of success (compared to Richards) to justify those contracts.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Every good player goes to the Rangers to suck it up and die....see Drury/Gomez/Gaborik/Gretzky, and probably Richards

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

The term is rather ugly (he'll be 40 by the time the contract expires), but the $6.66M caphit is fine for a player of his caliber IMHO. At 31, I think Richards can still put up more than a PPG and play for the Rangers in every situation.

This could get really ugly once he gets to 36-37 however.

pgall08
    Update your status
    pgall08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 172

I don't know how signing Richards can be viewed as anything but a good thing..

whiteout2713
    whiteout2713's Avatar Become A Pro!

couldnt agree more. dont know whats up with that

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Every good player goes to the Rangers to suck it up and die....see Drury/Gomez/Gaborik/Gretzky, and probably Richards
    add bure lindros kovelev fleury redden thats all i can think of right now

dbnmln
    dbnmln's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Awwww I love it!!!

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post
    add bure lindros kovelev fleury redden thats all i can think of right now
    Knew there was more, thanks for clarifying

NdeJonge
    NdeJonge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

I don't think that's overpaid. I would much rather have an elite center for 6.67 mill and have a 2 mill guy as my second line center......rather than having 2 mediocre 4 mill guys like Ville Leino or Tim Connolly (4.5 and 4.75). NHL teams need elite top line guys to have a chance. Depth is important too, but it's much easier to find and develop than an elite center.

Solid move by NYR.