Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Canuck Netminder's Huge Ego Returns to Haunt Him and His Team

You know he had to be thinking it. You know it must have been going through his mind. Standing in his crease about 180 feet away from the play, Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas, like the other 18,000 people at TD Garden last night, watched teammate Brad Marchand rip a snapshot over the shoulder of Canucks netminder Roberto Luongo, who was standing well back in his net. If you could read Thomas’s mind, you probably would have heard him say something like this:

“With my style of cutting off the angle and challenging the shooter, I would have made that save but because Luongo plays on the goal line, there was room in the top corner.”
    Touche Tim.
    How sweet it must have been for Thomas to see the net bulge at the other end behind Luongo just 5:31 into game six of the Stanley Cup final Monday thanks to Marchand, who gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead. Two hours later, long after the Bruins had chased Luongo from the net en route to a 5-2 victory that forced a game seven Wednesday in Vancouver, Thomas was asked if he would have stopped Marchand’s shot.

He didn’t take the bait. Smart man. If only Luongo had shown the same type of verbal restraint in the previous few days that Thomas exhibited Monday, maybe game six would have been different for the Vancouver goalie. Just seventy-two hours earlier, it was Thomas' aggressive style that was being questioned by Luongo. At least that’s the way many here in Beantown had construed it.
    Having just shut out the Bruins 1-0 at Rogers Arena last Friday, Luongo was discussing Vancouver’s winning goal. It came after Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa launched a pass that went off the kicker board behind the Boston net right to Canucks forward Maxim Lapierre, who banked it in off Thomas.
    Afterward Luongo said he likely would have stopped Lapierre’s shot because he plays back on the goal line. “It’s not hard if you’re playing in the paint,” Luongo said at the time. “It’s an easy save for me, but if you’re wandering out and aggressive like he is, that’s going to happen.”
    After Luongo was beaten twelve times in the previous two games in Boston, this was probably his way of telling them: “See, I’m not so bad myself.”
    Had he left it at that, the issue probably would have fizzled out but he didn’t. Instead he kept yapping the next day, claiming he had pumped the tires of Thomas earlier in the series without receiving any love in return from the Boston goalie.

Very poor move!
    It certainly looked as if Luongo’s words concerning Thomas motivated the Bruins, who pumped three goals past him in the first 8:35 of play in game six. At least one of those, Milan Lucic's wrister that somehow found a way through Luongo had a distinct odour to it.
    Down 3-0, Vigneault gave Luongo the hook, much to the glee of the capacity crowd. For the remainder of the Bruins' 5-2 win, they mocked him with chants of “Luuu-onnn-go,” knowing full well he was sitting on the bench. According to sources in Vancouver, Canuck supporters are already crying for Vigneault to start Cory Schneider in game seven but that just won’t happen. Coach Alain Vigneault confirmed Luongo will start. Hopefully for his sake and the sake of the Canucks he keeps his five-hole closed.
    As well as his mouth.

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yea...that was something when Luongo started dissing Thomas when he cant take care his own business....

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Luongo's comments were dumb to make. You can tell he is pissed off because he's not getting the respect that Thomas is from the media. The whole thing was pretty childish.