puckhead31
    Hockey baby
    puckhead31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 842

Change goalies right before the shootout..?

Is this possible?

For example. Flyers Sergei Bobrvosky is horrible at shootouts, couldn't stop a beach ball when it comes to shootouts. BUT Boucher is almost a shut down shootout goalie.

Is it possible for the coach to replace one goalie for another right before the shootout starts? Is there a rule against this?

And if NOT, then what about calling a timeout if the circumstances are right.
    For example: The puck is in the opposing teams end, the goalie covers gets a whistle, Let's say there are about 15-20 seconds left on the clock. The team that has the faceoff in the opposing teams end, calls a time out, and replaces the better goalie for the shootout...This scenario would only happen if my original question is a "no". I don't see how this is breaking the rule if it is a "no".

Any thought or an answer for me on this? I never thought of it really until now.

Also try to refrain from saying "why replace a goalie who sat the entire game for a shootout after his legs are probably stiff" There are certain circumstances like the Philly/Rangers game I just watched where the sitting goalie could start preparing for a possible shootout....

thanks guys

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Interesting thought? I was on Philly so I certainly like your logic but obviously it does no good now. Good discussion point for the future though...

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    Interesting thought? I was on Philly so I certainly like your logic but obviously it does no good now. Good discussion point for the future though...
    If they are keeping shoot outs in the nhl, (which i wish they didn't they are stupid and we need ties back) they also need to answer questions like this one. This could be a tool used when it comes to winning shootouts, obviously it comes down to which goalie is better in shootouts..

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Shootouts have proven to be a big factor for some teams. For example I live in Columbus and don't know the record exactly but the Jackets have been miserable in shootouts over the last few years it seems.

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

Tor Did it earlier in the year. Switch goalies for the shootout

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Quote Originally Posted by leafs_ducks View Post
    Yea, and didn't that goalie get injured and then they decided never to do it again?

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

It can be done, it was also done last year by the leafs. The only problem is that your putting in a goalie that has been sitting on the bench for more than 3 periods. Most goalies are best when they warm up and have the time to get the feel for the speed of the game.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Definitely agreed with Flash. Goalies typically require the most explosive and flexible capabilities of any player, which would be brutal off the bench. Cheers

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

It's more out of respect for the goalies why coaches don't pull them more. If that goalie played hard for 60 minutes they don't wanna be the dickhead who says GG pal you're out and let the backup come in for an easy W. I don't see this ever changing.

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmitty View Post
    Definitely agreed with Flash. Goalies typically require the most explosive and flexible capabilities of any player, which would be brutal off the bench. Cheers
    Right but that's why I mentioned going to the locker room and preparing for a possible shootout if needed. And it dosen't matter anyways, numerous times goalies get pulled in the third period and the back up still faces 12-14 shots and sometimes stops them all, and that's longer then a shootout and more shots...

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    It's more out of respect for the goalies why coaches don't pull them more. If that goalie played hard for 60 minutes they don't wanna be the dickhead who says GG pal you're out and let the backup come in for an easy W. I don't see this ever changing.
    Well I wanna agree but I can't. Because if one goalie is better in shootouts then the other, they probably realize that and want to do whats best for the team, and get the possible W if it is in favor of one goalie and not the other. Now using Philly for example again, they really don't have a back up goalie, both goalies rotate, it just happens one is better then the other in shootouts. Thats why I kept saying rare case scenario which applies for the Flyers. Im sure other teams to, for example maybe the Capitals? They don't really have a back up goalie, they have 2 solid guys who rotated pretty much all season, and you can even say Holtby is a 3rd guy that was in there for them in net.

Like I said this would apply for only certain teams to try, whats the worse that could happen, they lose? They are most likely to lose in the shootout anyways, why not try something new and see what happens.

I see your a Canucks fan, this would not apply to your team obviously.

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Quote Originally Posted by leafs_ducks View Post
    What goalies got switched up and what was the outcome, also what team were they facing?

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Yeah you're right. It more applies to teams without a clear cut #1 goalie. I wish the Canucks would put in Schneider in shootouts he's better than Luey

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    Shootouts have proven to be a big factor for some teams. For example I live in Columbus and don't know the record exactly but the Jackets have been miserable in shootouts over the last few years it seems.
    Right a proven factor for the team with the better goalies, not all the teams build around goalies, at least not in today's nhl anymore. Just another reason the NHL should go back to ties, and get rid of the shootout all together. Maybe make the OT 10 minutes and not 5 minutes..

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Yeah you're right. It more applies to teams without a clear cut #1 goalie. I wish the Canucks would put in Schneider in shootouts he's better than Luey
    Interesting I did not know that, I don't watch west games as much as east games. So what I am saying would apply to your team then. But how often are the Canucks in a shootout, well at least this season?

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by puckhead31 View Post
    Interesting I did not know that, I don't watch west games as much as east games. So what I am saying would apply to your team then. But how often are the Canucks in a shootout, well at least this season?
    Not often lately but earlier in the year the Nucks were like 1-4 in shootouts and Lou was letting in at least 2/3 every time. He's been improving a bit lately though.

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

Not often lately but earlier in the year the Nucks were like 1-4 in shootouts and Lou was letting in at least 2/3 every time. He's been improving a bit lately though.
    I do remember Lou struggling and Schneider was carrying his team. But, thats way in the past now, those Nucks are riding so high lol

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by puckhead31 View Post
    I do remember Lou struggling and Schneider was carrying his team. But, thats way in the past now, those Nucks are riding so high lol
    I know. I'm cautiously optimistic this year. I think they are going all the way. We will see how they handle the pressure come playoff time. They've matured a lot as a team over the last
    few years so I think they should be fine.

puckhead31
    Hockey baby

I know. I'm cautiously optimistic this year. I think they are going all the way. We will see how they handle the pressure come playoff time. They've matured a lot as a team over the last few years so I think they should be fine.
    As of last week I thought the Kings would give them trouble, not so much now that Kopitar is out. The only other team in the west may be the Ducks if Emery keeps playing solid in net with Hiller out. Red Wings are banged up right now, but that could change come april 14th