shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by mikejamm View Post
    G’day Shari, 9500 pts pay’in only 3 places? At least space it out to the top 10 like you do in your tennis contests, mate.

I mean bloody hell, it’s a season long contest, thats quite a long shot for most of us, pay out to top 5 if you won’t go top 10. Cheers
    When I’m home later I’ll check the payout structures of the other ones I’m in but I’m pretty sure they only pay top 3 so they can reward the top place getters with larger prizes. But if I see a structure that spreads it out more I’ll go with that. My tennis contests we do top 10 as that’s what the books that used to sponsor the contests wanted to acknowledge that tennis tipping like that is a crapshoot and often more luck than skill
    Points Awarded:

Deenoz gave shari91 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Fox carries some games

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by MBENZ View Post
    What difference does it make?This is a dartboard for everybody but Shari and opti.
    I am from Sydney where Rugby League is the main football code. We traditionally call this game Aerial Ping Pong and laugh about the shorts too

But this is a good idea. It is a genuine elite level sport with good betting limits that is on at a time nothing else is, and is a decent game to watch.

garygroundwork
    garygroundwork's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12445

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    afl seems like the male equivalent of the wnba with how gay the athletes are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1aU0hz5Tf8

yeah nah...

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by garygroundwork View Post
    Case closed.

The majority of the people who have a go at this sport have never played it and/or are used to watching NFL with obese lugs who need to be padded up and barely move 5 yards to accomplish anything in their sport. These people are playing with no equipment, have to run across a ground much larger than an NFL one and somehow still manage to prepare for life after footy so they don’t end up as bankrupt bums. Even the women footy players don’t wear equipment other than a box protector most of the time. I’d love any one here to play one quarter of one match and then let us know how pussy it is. I tried it and I shit myself with fear. Never again.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nfl players
    With a little training of the sport would AFL beat afl team

The best AFL players could probably play Division II college football only

We have small AFL league in PA ex players

garygroundwork
    garygroundwork's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12445

no point arguing about nfl afl etc..both great games, great athletes different skills etc...

but whoever says afl is gay have never played it or just a moron ....no other sport in the world do you get hit from 360 degrees with your body wide open and no pads.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

go to 2:20 of that clip... just one of a number of times someone tries to tackle another guy by grabbing his junk

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

no point arguing about nfl afl etc..both great games, great athletes different skills etc...

but whoever says afl is gay have never played it or just a moron ....no other sport in the world do you get hit from 360 degrees with your body wide open and no pads.
    i said the players were gay which a large % are

there are 21 lgbt players in australian rules football, and not even 1 in the nfl

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47428

In sounds fun!

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

i havent seen this guy hardly ever in 8 years and has same avatar ducky had

interesting

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1091

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    i havent seen this guy hardly ever in 8 years and has same avatar ducky had

interesting
    Yep, you know it’s duckshit, Rudy. Sure as the scamming duckshit nose on his face. Right you are once again bro.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Many of the IPTV services have Fox Footy Channel (serious). Here is a list of games and channels for overseas - https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/afl-tv-guide/

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26107

Australian rules football is good to go right? I hope it is not affected by coronavirus.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

No spread? Just pick winning teams? How boring.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    Australian rules football is good to go right? I hope it is not affected by coronavirus.
    Australia has just recommended gatherings of 500 people or more should be cancelled. So might go ahead behind closed doors for a few weeks but hard to see a full season being played at the current rate.

Still worth entering this comp I would say as there's more chance of this sport being played for awhile than any NBA etc in the near future at least.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    No spread? Just pick winning teams? How boring.
    You have to pick 9 winning teams a week and you can't choose to skip a match. You guys couldn't even pick the spread of 5 winning teams in BTP across TWO sports and even with the CHOICE of which matches to select. But yeah... how boring

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

so who are the new england patriots of the afl

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    so who are the new england patriots of the afl
    Richmond currently but without Inflategate. They had such a long drought and have come good the past few years. If you google Jack Riewoldt + The Killers you'll see a pretty epic moment.

Also Dustin Martin.

But the beauty of the AFL is that you just never know. Because of salary caps and trade and draft restrictions it's often a crapshoot at least at the beginning of the season since no one is allowed to stockpile or load their ammo quietly. It is a glorious sport to watch even if not in a contest. So much fun

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Richmond currently but without Inflategate. They had such a long drought and have come good the past few years. If you google Jack Riewoldt + The Killers you'll see a pretty epic moment.

Also Dustin Martin.

But the beauty of the AFL is that you just never know. Because of salary caps and trade and draft restrictions it's often a crapshoot at least at the beginning of the season since no one is allowed to stockpile or load their ammo quietly. It is a glorious sport to watch even if not in a contest. So much fun
    interesting

So what’s the average player salary?

In 1980, before the expansion of the league into a national competition and the game into a professional sport, players earned around $11,000 per season. This meant that players would have separate full-time employment outside of the game.
    By 1991 and with the salary cap in full force, the average wage rose to around $46,429 per year, with 8 players earning six figures. Since then the competition has gone from strength to strength and the top players are handsomely rewarded.
    Entering the 2019 season, the AFL announced that six players earned over $1 million in 2018, however that was down from 9 players the season prior.
    The average salary of an AFL player currently sits at a comfortable $362,471 annually, with Sydney Swans superstar Lance Franklin understood to be the highest paid player pulling in around $1.3 million per year.
    The other players that are believed to be on over $1 million per season include Brownlow Medalists Dustin Martin (Richmond) and Fremantle’s Nathan Fyfe. Bulldogs big man Tom Boyd and GWS Giants forward Jeremy Cameron are also on a seven figure salary while Tom Lynch was thought to be paid over the mark before his move to Richmond this season.

shari91

[QUOTE=cincinnatikid513;29317452]interesting

So what’s the average player salary?

In 1980, before the expansion of the league into a national competition and the game into a professional sport, players earned around $11,000 per season. This meant that players would have separate full-time employment outside of the game.
    By 1991 and with the salary cap in full force, the average wage rose to around $46,429 per year, with 8 players earning six figures. Since then the competition has gone from strength to strength and the top players are handsomely rewarded.
    Entering the 2019 season, the AFL announced that six players earned over $1 million in 2018, however that was down from 9 players the season prior.

haha the original was amazing! Obviously that was a trip off of that.
    But the original was good enough to prompt me to buy surprise tickets to the Killers for my husband. Such a great concert and I'll be buying us some more when they return in December!! Seriously it's a great time even if you only know a couple of songs... they're so entertaining you'll just start making up words to join in

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

looks like gold coast suns are the worst team in the league

Gold Coast Suns

Gold Coast finished where everyone expected them to last season, in stone-cold motherless last, but to be fair to them, three wins was a lot more than most predicted. The pity is the last of them was in Round 4. It made for an encouraging opening but a long winter. Their last five losses were by an average of 74 points.
    There is no hiding from the fact it’s going to be a long way back.

this looks like a decent place for people not familiar with the teams to get a little info about them

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/afl-preview-series/

shari91

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

last year's final highlights

Optional

Shari is married to a footy star turned coach.

She should be good at this.

Maybe an AFL picks thread like the old tennis one...

Australian Rugby League (NRL) started this week too. Looks like they will keep playing without crowds for now too.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Shari is married to a footy star turned coach.

She should be good at this.

Maybe an AFL picks thread like the old tennis one...

Australian Rugby League (NRL) started this week too. Looks like they will keep playing without crowds for now too.
    are they close in popularity afl and nrl

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post

are they close in popularity afl and nrl
    AFL is more wide spread and a true national competition. And probably the best managed/promoted league in Australia. It would make the most money and attract the most fans to games on average.

But it's the main "football" game for about 48% of the population, and NRL is the the thing called Footy or Football in NSW and Queensland which is about 52% of population.

Optional

AFL season has been shortened to 17 games.

Everyone plays each other once.

And the show goes on...

Deenoz
    Deenoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 317

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    AFL season has been shortened to 17 games.

Everyone plays each other once.

And the show goes on...

still 2 days to go.
    let's hope nothing changes and the season goes ahead.

good luck to all

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15952

I'm in hopefully this gives us something to watch and doesn't get cancelled like every other sport.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26107

How would non Australians watch? is there live streaming website?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    How would non Australians watch? is there live streaming website?
    It's on the Fox Soccer Plus channel in USA

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listin...538/2020-03-19

BT Sport in UK I think.

jonorussell
    jonorussell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Thank for the contest. I'm in

Krashman
    Krashman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 27392

Joined up. Points sent.

First 1234 Last