SOXROCK
    SOXROCK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Excel help

I'm not sure if this can be done but i would like to have an excel spread sheet do the following on over/unders. I have been tracking over/under for many teams. I would like to have a column insert an o1, u1, o2 etc based upon the situation. Trying to establish patterns. So if the celtics go over on Monday o1 and then go over on tuesday that would be o2. HELP

O o1
    O o2
    O o3
    U u1
    U u2
    O o1

thanks

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish. Can you explain it another way?

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have one cell with an "O" or "U" and one cell with the number. You can then use an "if" function to see what the current game was (over or under) and either start a new streak or increment an existing one accordingly.

bkg sports
    bkg sports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 372

GO TO MREXCEL.COM

they will have a formula for what you want

SOXROCK
    SOXROCK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mebaran View Post
    Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish. Can you explain it another way?
    Lets say the celtics go over 2 times in a row on a sunday and monday. what is the likely hood that they will go over for the third time in a row on a thursday.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

You could get this sort of info at KillerSports faster than in getting all the data into Excel, unless you already have all of it assembled. I don't personally use it (or have any confidence that these kind of trends are going to be a long-term winning strategy), but it appears that they have data since 2006.

You could run the query on your Celtics example by going to http://killersports.com/nba.py/query?&sid=guest and entering the following in the text box:

team=Celtics and p:O and pp:O

The manual is here: http://killersports.com/NBA/PDF/quer...f?pid=nba_home
    Last edited by jgilmartin; 03-21-11 at 01:27 PM. Reason: clarity

mrtomk
    mrtomk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 771

Quote Originally Posted by roasthawg View Post
    Have one cell with an "O" or "U" and one cell with the number. You can then use an "if" function to see what the current game was (over or under) and either start a new streak or increment an existing one accordingly.
    Yep, just use an if function that says if the cell to the left (i.e. the cell with O or U) is the same as the cell above it, then, add 1 to the value in the cell above, if not, give 1. So if your formula is in cell B2 it would be:

=if(A2=A1,B1+1,1)

If you are really intent on keeping it as o1, o2, u1, u2, then use this formula:

=if(A2=A1,A2&RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-1)+1,A2&1)

Hope that helps.

Also, enter the first value, in cell B1, manually and add the formula from B2 onwards...
    Last edited by mrtomk; 03-21-11 at 05:15 PM.

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by SOXROCK View Post
    I'm not sure if this can be done but i would like to have an excel spread sheet do the following on over/unders. I have been tracking over/under for many teams. I would like to have a column insert an o1, u1, o2 etc based upon the situation. Trying to establish patterns. So if the celtics go over on Monday o1 and then go over on tuesday that would be o2. HELP

O o1
    O o2
    O o3
    U u1
    U u2
    O o1

thanks
    SOX:

I have the formula for this...As a matter of fact I have done EXACTLY what you are trying to do here for EVERY NBA team for the last 20 seasons for Over (Ov), Under (Un), Cover (C) and Not Cover (NC) streaks...

If you want the formula, let me know as I can preovide a sample here and you'll then have it...