Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9237

Odds drifitng, easing, going out, higher etc...

I have trouble with understanding different people's use of terms such as "longer/shorter", "easing/firming", "drifitng/tightening", "going out/coming in", "higher/lower".

All my life (in Australia) if they amount the bookie pays out per dollar is getting larger, then the price is longer/easing/drifing/going out/higher.

But it appears that is not how everyone sees it on this forum.

I've see people comment on a price moving from -120 to -130 as going out or being larger.

Are some people just mixed up, or do Americans maybe switch what you call long/short when the price is under even money?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I have trouble with understanding different people's use of terms such as "longer/shorter", "easing/firming", "drifitng/tightening", "going out/coming in", "higher/lower".

All my life (in Australia) if they amount the bookie pays out per dollar is getting larger, then the price is longer/easing/drifing/going out/higher.

But it appears that is not how everyone sees it on this forum.

I've see people comment on a price moving from -120 to -130 as going out or being larger.

Are some people just mixed up, or do Americans maybe switch what you call long/short when the price is under even money?
    Yes they do. Everywhere else higher odds means a higher payout for the amount risked.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9237

Thanks FourLengths.

I guess what you grow up with seems the best to most of us, but even after 12 months experience dealing with the US way of gambling I still find some bits confusing.

I sometimes wonder if PT Barnum had a hand in coming up with the system!