OnlyMayo
    OnlyMayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Very Basic question...

Being somewhat of a beginner of sports betting...

What are some of the basic stats/notes that you look at when picking a bet? Are there certain numbers, stats, trends that you pay close attention to etc..?

Basically, what is it that makes you say "Im gonna take that bet"...

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Craploads of research and homework. My $0.02, pick a sport and a conference. For instance, NCAAB only follow one conference to start with. I focus 99% of my bets on the Pac-10. I can watch 90% of the games and get a good feel fro things. Even in the NFL, I try to really focus on a division or two and that cuts the homework in half.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

As you get familiar with what you should do, you'll also learn not to over think things based on statistics and other factors. Books are right on top of stats for the most part, so to find an edge you need to find something that they don't know/care about.

Best thing you can do is follow a sport that you like closely by watching games and keeping updated with news, it will keep you miles ahead of gamblers who just look at a couple numbers.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Watch less sports, open more books, line shop, market cap, grind out a profit.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    True to some extent because of all the hype/BS that the TV networks feed their viewers. However watching less sports is not profitable IMO. If you disagree show proof that there are 'intellectual' business men capping games and making a descent profit. There aren't any, in fact line shopping and market capping is a big reason bookmakers make their money off of people who think they're sharp. So much psychology and manipulation goes into line adjustments that a simple sports viewer can get passed if they watched a game.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

some of the biggest bettors don't watch the games they play

OnlyMayo
    OnlyMayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Thanks guys

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

It's very difficult to live wager if you aren't watching the game, but maybe thats just me.

threeg5
    All In A Days Work
    threeg5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 321

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    I agree its kind of like "niche" betting/gambling learn a team in a sport and how they are and what they do. of course you will have an idea of how the other teams are playing but if you concentrate on "your" team then you know the realistic chance of how its going to turn out. By no means does that make you great just more informed on what that team can and/or possibly will do/perform

Quote Originally Posted by LegitBet View Post
    some of the biggest bettors don't watch the games they play
    I fall into that category

Quote Originally Posted by jds07v View Post
    It's very difficult to live wager if you aren't watching the game, but maybe thats just me.
    Hey that is just a retarded statement on this thread. Maybe first you should either find someone talking about live betting and then make that as a whimsical comment or explain what live betting is for some that do not know and then still make it a whimsical comment!

BTW its hard to win a bet if you don't place one

Peace

3g5