illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Visual Basic???

So if I'm going to learn to build a database I need to know a programming language, right? I'm thinking of buying a book to learn Visual Basic. What is the latest version of VB? Is there another language you recommend? And if my newbness wasn't shining already, what is Visual Studio? Is it the program in which I use Visual Basic to build a working model? Thank you.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

What do you mean by database? A big ass spread sheet? Or a REAL database? The kinds with sql queries and tables?

The answer given any reply is: none. you dont need a database for those. if you want to fetch that data from somewhere. THEN you may need a programming language. People here have explained how to fetch data from the internet.

But if you INSIST on writing an application to fetch data from the internet. Then yes, that would require a programming language. And i GUESS you could get away using visual basic.

My programming language preference is java. It runs on any operating system. Its pretty much the standards for large organizations. And it is awesome.

Another reason I recommend java ( or even c#, if you are so inclined ) is that, there is a large community online for the code/help. So there are times, i wanted to code up functionality. If the task i needed was simple enough, i just took someone elses. Not sure if there are gillions of forums for VB programmers. Plus.... if you get awesomelly good at programming, (java or c#) would look better on a resume that VB.net would. (IMO)

Visual Studio, is the IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Its the "program" where you write/construct you own program(s).

Thanks. Good Luck. And Take Care!!!

PS. Dont use python
    Last edited by Maverick22; 02-13-11 at 05:45 PM.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Maverick said it better
    Points Awarded:

Maverick22 gave EXhoosier10 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Visual Studio has a free edition for beginning developer's, downloadable here

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...itions/express

I strongly recommend VC# over VB. Just because it's called "Basic" doesn't mean it's basic to learn - C# is much easier to learn and will be easier to find help.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...csharp-express

For creating a database of stats, scores, whatever, you will also need database software. For that I recommend MS SQL Server Express. Although you can use any SQL provider.

1 for Java as well. There's really only two languages newbs should attempt: C# or Java.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    What do you mean by database? A big ass spread sheet? Or a REAL database? The kinds with sql queries and tables?

The answer given any reply is: none. you dont need a database for those. if you want to fetch that data from somewhere. THEN you may need a programming language. People here have explained how to fetch data from the internet.

But if you INSIST on writing an application to fetch data from the internet. Then yes, that would require a programming language. And i GUESS you could get away using visual basic.

My programming language preference is java. It runs on any operating system. Its pretty much the standards for large organizations. And it is awesome.

Another reason I recommend java ( or even c#, if you are so inclined ) is that, there is a large community online for the code/help. So there are times, i wanted to code up functionality. If the task i needed was simple enough, i just took someone elses. Not sure if there are gillions of forums for VB programmers. Plus.... if you get awesomelly good at programming. I would look better on a resume that VB.net would. (IMO)

Visual Studio, is the IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Its the "program" where you write/construct you own program(s).

Thanks. Good Luck. And Take Care!!!

PS. Dont use python
    Thank you. So Java would be what I would use to scrape the internet for data? I'm confused as to what I use to:
    1.)Gather data from the internet.
    2.)Use that data to build a model.
    3.)anything else?

Maverick22

I'm just giving you options for what you could do.

Using excel is your best bet. There is another thread about getting data (from the internet) using excel.

Learning to program. Figuring out the logic. Learning how to program that logic. Will take you quite a while. Trust me.

TRUST ME. You will not finish in time for baseball season.

As far as using excel to model data, you might have to play super sleuth... I dont know how to do it in excel.

DevilCheese
    DevilCheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4971

if you're looking to use this for baseball, check out the book Baseball Hacks, it uses SQL and shows you how to do it step by step

dr_wolf
    dr_wolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19055

So building the database is is only one step next step is managing data with the VB or the others languages.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post

TRUST ME. You will not finish in time for baseball season.
    Actually you have plenty of time before the season starts,

in 2012.

Maverick22

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Actually you have plenty of time before the season starts,

in 2012.
    Touché

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Php works for me. Pretty much any language will do.