JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Is the Superbowl an example of Failure for Gamblers?

One of the most bet on match-ups in the world. Isn't this the best proof that most people only gamble on coin flips and expect to make a fortune flipping rather than finding an edge? The public loves to bet on big match ups, obviously it's for the thrill of watching big time teams play. So is betting on the Superbowl the best example of how the bookmakers make their money on a daily basis off people who aren't willing to actually make money?

If you don't agree with everything I'm saying, feel free to say what would be a profitable bet on this match up today.

Power Play
    Power Play's Avatar Become A Pro!

Super Bowl sides or over/under should only be bet for fun(which is fine if it's for a low amount). There were some props available that may be +ev early but most of them have been hammered down to size already by sharps.

suicideking08
    suicideking08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I just think it's more fun to watch the game with money on the line, but it's not enough to really care if I win or lose.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

I never understood why people make their biggest bets on the biggest games...the only play I have is pitt +22.5 as the last leg of a teaser lol maybe ill bet on a prop for a reciever over yards (whoever mcfadden is covering) but there's no value left probably

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Probably.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    One of the most bet on match-ups in the world. Isn't this the best proof that most people only gamble on coin flips and expect to make a fortune flipping rather than finding an edge? ...
    Most people wager for entertainment with no delusions of expecting to make a fortune. You are referring to degenerate gamblers and/or gamblers with a problem IMO.

Joe.

DaProfessor23
    DaProfessor23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    Most people wager for entertainment with no delusions of expecting to make a fortune. You are referring to degenerate gamblers and/or gamblers with a problem IMO.

Joe.
    i feel the same way . I made a few bets on the game today but not with the notion that im trying to build my bankroll and make bank today , simply to enhance the experience of watching the game.

AbeFroman
    AbeFroman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 731

I didn't even bother with the line, ML, or O/U for the game, just played props. I evened out, so I'll take the extra enjoyment I gained watching the game while following my props over being mad or irritated that I didn't win big.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Good responses thanks guys.

Raynor21
    Cle/Ari Under
    Raynor21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

I actually make it a point NOT to be on big games like this.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

The Superbowl was my biggest winning day so far and is highly likely to be my biggest win for the rest of the year.

It's an example of failure for most people though just betting stuff because they want some money on.
    Last edited by That Foreign Guy; 02-07-11 at 07:29 AM. Reason: so far = lifetime

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

I refuse to bet on national title and super bowl games

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Two weeks to prepare for one game, with hundreds of props on the table, and changing odds leading up to the game. Not that hard to make a profit.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Two weeks to prepare for one game, with hundreds of props on the table, and changing odds leading up to the game. Not that hard to make a profit.
    Yeah, I would have layed -300 that I would come out of the Superbowl with a profit, maybe more.