genyes
    genyes's Avatar Become A Pro!

Z Scores and all underdogs

I am currently using a system to bet on soccer underdogs. I am betting very modest amounts at this time until I am very confident that the system is worthy of larger bets.
    My results so far are: 30 wins and 54 losses (betting the same amount each time) with a 12.7% ROI. The wagers range from slight underdogs up to 4-1 underdogs.

I'm familiar with how to calculate Z-scores--except in this type of situation. How would you determine that the system is a good one i.e. worthy of your usual betting size?

Thanks
    Last edited by genyes; 01-13-11 at 07:30 AM.

the_mathman
    the_mathman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2360

Do you bet on 1X2 market or in the AH ?

bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

The variance formula for a single bet is:

Variance = betsize^2 * (decimal odds-1)

Compute this for all your bets, then add them up. Then take the square root of the sum to get the std. dev. for your z-score calculation.

the_mathman

Z score is not enough.
    do you need to totalize a sample of at least 2000 bets distributed along the 12 month of the year.

do you can try to use historical data (e.g.:http://www.betexplorer.com/) for test your method (if is possible)

genyes
    genyes's Avatar Become A Pro!

1X2

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

I don't agree with mathman.

If you have a Z score of +2, that is very interesting. At +3, I would definitely bet it, especially if I understood and agreed with the logic behind it.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

@Justin7 So you calculate this Z-Score. What does that end up telling you? What does it buy you?

bztips

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    @Justin7 So you calculate this Z-Score. What does that end up telling you? What does it buy you?
    It tells you the probablility that the results you're getting are just by chance, given your current sample.

the_mathman

Quote Originally Posted by genyes View Post
    1X2

so, do you bet on underdog only or sometimes do you bet the X2 double chance (lay favorite)?

the_mathman

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

If you have a Z score of +2, that is very interesting. At +3, I would definitely bet it, especially if I understood and agreed with the logic behind it.
    unfortunately, the betting world isnt so matematically 'clear' and for validate a selection system do you need a big sample with match distributed along all the year.....

(this is my opinion, of course, based on my esperience on the soccer betting)

brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Z scores are useful when you're betting on the line. 1x2 with the large variety of odds that one would take odds at would complexify Z score taking. I guess you would sort of have to place all of your bets in odds 'brackets' and wait to you got a sufficient sample in any given odds bracket. But even that would be rough (depending on how narrow you would bracket odds together).

I have the same problem as most of my betting is 1x2. I'm going to resort to Monte Carlo simulation to come to a solution.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by genyes View Post
    I am currently using a system to bet on soccer underdogs... How would you determine that the system is a good
    I just use my crap detector program. It tells me immediately that the system you described in the first sentence is crap.

greva
    Update your status
    greva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    I just use my crap detector program. It tells me immediately that the system you described in the first sentence is crap.
    How is this helpful?

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

I'd run a monte carlo and see where your results fall upon the distribution of possible outcomes

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by greva View Post
    How is this helpful?
    That was an attempt to point out that the prerequisite for using z-scores is formulating a rational theory for the source of +EV. "An underdog system" is one of the more frequently used names for yet another variant of coin flipping. There are zillions of these systems and some of them have the Z-scores that are as high as you want. Those systems are still 0EV. Using valid methods in inappropriate ways guarantees drawing false conclusion. Hope this helps.

specialronnie29
    specialronnie29's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

are you serious

didnt you write a book on gambling. how do you make any money when you believe this. if you look hard enough you can find a z-score of 20 by betting on teams with 5 vowels in their name on days when there is a full moon and your pet shit himself

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by specialronnie29 View Post
    are you serious

didnt you write a book on gambling. how do you make any money when you believe this. if you look hard enough you can find a z-score of 20 by betting on teams with 5 vowels in their name on days when there is a full moon and your pet shit himself
    I think you missed the second requirement: I understand and agree with the logic. If there isn't a logical basis, the z-score is mostly useless.

specialronnie29

no justin

you wrote this: If you have a Z score of +2, that is very interesting. At +3, I would definitely bet it, especially if I understood and agreed with the logic behind it.

you said you would bet anything at +3

Justin7

no justin

you wrote this: If you have a Z score of +2, that is very interesting. At +3, I would definitely bet it, especially if I understood and agreed with the logic behind it.

you said you would bet anything at +3
    I stand corrected.

For the record, I would not bet on any Z score unless I had a logic that explained the results.

specialronnie29

the phrase z score should be banned from this subforum

half the shit people are applying it to isnt even normally distributed

bztips

the phrase z score should be banned from this subforum

half the shit people are applying it to isnt even normally distributed
    Uh, Central Limit Theorem...

the_mathman

do you remember always that sports aren't (totally) casual events!

specialronnie29

Quote Originally Posted by bztips View Post
    Uh, Central Limit Theorem...
    N = 74 from binomial distn

can argue about whether that N is large but most guys come on here with a 10-2 record and want to know if it means theyve found the holy grail;