simplydusty
    simplydusty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Creating NFL model

So I have my database now filled with around 20-25 stats for each team, each game from 2002-current. I want to create a predictive model using regression analysis by the start of next season.

My plan is to use all 9 seasons when running my regression analysis. Then use 6 of the 9 seasons to create my model, and the other 3 to test the model.

Does that seem like the best plan of attack? Granted more data is better, but 9 full seasons worth of data should work, right?

Thanks for any help

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Quote Originally Posted by simplydusty View Post
    So I have my database now filled with around 20-25 stats for each team, each game from 2002-current. I want to create a predictive model using regression analysis by the start of next season.

My plan is to use all 9 seasons when running my regression analysis. Then use 6 of the 9 seasons to create my model, and the other 3 to test the model.

Does that seem like the best plan of attack? Granted more data is better, but 9 full seasons worth of data should work, right?

Thanks for any help
    Only run the regression analysis using the first 6 of the 9 seasons.

simplydusty
    simplydusty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

So basically keep 3 season out of anything involved with creating the model?

Do you think 3 is about right for the number of 'testing' seasons?

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

6 seasons is a good base. Adding 3 might give you a little more power, but not a lot.

It's not a huge datamining issue to use the last 3 seasons for the regression though... as long as none of your regressions look at a game spread, total, or any other market you want to wager.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by simplydusty View Post
    So basically keep 3 season out of anything involved with creating the model?
    Yes. I was trying to look for a link that talks about the statistical analysis principle behind this warning.

But yeah, you don't want to use data that helped create the model as a test data sets.

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

lol @ 25 stats. You're going to find a lot of auto correlation in your model.

greg66
    greg66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    lol @ 25 stats. You're going to find a lot of auto correlation in your model.

Hetereoscedasticity as well.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

I would say start with something besides NFL
    since the limits are like 70k on pinny