subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

NBA push chart smoothing

Happy New Hangover

I've just got a DB for the NBA and spent a while cleaning it up. it goes back to 1995.

so for my push chart (which i need fairly accurate) i like some simple smoothing techniques.

can any1 help...

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

learn some applied statistics

there are no set rules for this type of thing anywayz

or ...

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

What sorts of problems are you having? What results do you see without smoothing that you don't accept as accurate?

subs

I am already doing an applied stats course online with stattrek- but i thought that asking the community here for their experiences with this project would be beneficial, and because there is no single answer, may even start a debate.

as you guys would know well, there are some 0%... i mean near the edges. also there are some very small sample sizes in places. there are also some numbers that look wrong....

also i want to look for subsets, home/away, totals etc. (that are better teased than ATS) so this will dilute my charts even more and make smoothing "by eye" a very long and messy job.

so because i do not know where yet, like a do in the NFL (according to my, and others' commonly available numbers) i feel like i need to make the whole chart, edges et all, as tight as i can without wasting too much time. maybe something i only use when the numbers do not look good... how do you even 0.25% kelly without trusting ur numbers?

any feedback much appreciated.

Justin7

Subs,

If you are getting 0% push rates for many numbers, I have to wonder how large your sample size is. How many games are you using?

subs

the NBA set goes back to 1995 all games i believe. i mean around the edges that i have 0% on a particular MOV

i have been advised to merge 3 or so NBA DBs as a good starting point. i imagine the NBA plays i am looking 4 r harder to find than NFL 1's and not as common.

BTW today is a good day - enjoy!
    Last edited by subs; 01-03-11 at 04:04 PM.

Justin7

When you get to spreads above 15 or so, you might check to see if the push rates are all similar. I would expect they are (or treat them as if they are).

subs

thanks Justin7

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

Quote Originally Posted by subs View Post
    the NBA set goes back to 1995 all games i believe. i mean around the edges that i have 0% on a particular MOV i have been advised to merge 3 or so NBA DBs as a good starting point. i imagine the NBA plays i am looking 4 r harder to find than NFL 1's and not as common. BTW today is a good day - enjoy!
    0% obviously doesn't pass the sniff test
    Don't forget to think in order to follow set rules

subs

Roasthawg rulz - any1 need a DB, message RoastHawg - really!

or go to gambling DBS dot com.

so far can't recommend it enough. BTW i had to ask him, he did not come touting anything....