rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Is anyone actually able to bet pinny NCAAB totals

seems like as soon as they are up the line moves within a few minutes and then a few hours later other books open their total with the current market price...is anyone successful betting the pinny openers or is it to hard?

for example the Montana Idaho Game opened at 129 @ pinny but everywhere else around 120.5
    just checking the sbrodds page it dropped from 129 to 118 in 3 minutes, I would assume that you would have problems with the line changing while trying to bet too

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

they open with $100 limits

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

i know that, but that doesn't answer my question, the limits don't bother me yet because I am a university student and I don't have thousands of dollars at my expense to bet with, but I am starting to model and am asking lots of questions a long the way, so when I have a bigger bankroll, hopefully I will be successful. I just want to know if it is a waste of time waiting on the pinny page for them to put the lines up, or if its pretty much impossible to get the opening number because it changes so fast
    Last edited by rfr3sh; 12-18-10 at 07:04 PM.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15307

It's really hard to bet the openers. You need to refresh a lot to be able to get to the number first. If you refresh too much you get locked out for 5 minutes. There must be 100's of players all trying to bet these games. You're not going to get rich betting these for 100 anyways. And remember only one or two guys get that number, then they move it 3 pts.

Seriously I think you better off waiting and picking off the ones that move to far. I was able to get 250 in on the Portland/Portland St. game under 155. You can still get great lines, just keep the page open and on dynamic lines and wait.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    It's really hard to bet the openers. You need to refresh a lot to be able to get to the number first. If you refresh too much you get locked out for 5 minutes. There must be 100's of players all trying to bet these games. You're not going to get rich betting these for 100 anyways. And remember only one or two guys get that number, then they move it 3 pts.

Seriously I think you better off waiting and picking off the ones that move to far. I was able to get 250 in on the Portland/Portland St. game under 155. You can still get great lines, just keep the page open and on dynamic lines and wait.
    This^^

Nobody worth a damn bets into opening lines unless they are trying to create value for future betting.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't want to sound like a pompous douche but there is no need to be betting these games. Even when the limits rise to 1000 there will still be many beatable lines, but it's not worth as much as a beatable line in the NHL(which has higher limits). Do I bet NCAAB totals? Yes. Are they #1 on my priority list? No.
    Side note: Even though there are more beatable totals at opening time, I'd rather bet 1k on a 55% edge than 100 on a 60% edge.

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    This^^

Nobody worth a damn bets into opening lines unless they are trying to create value for future betting.
    The handicappers you hear about(RAS, Helmut, etc.) bet opening lines. The ones who make millions a year(who you don't hear about) are the ones who bet 50k late in the week on a college football game for 50k instead of betting the lower limits at opening time.

ForgetWallStreet
    ForgetWallStreet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    The handicappers you hear about(RAS, Helmut, etc.) bet opening lines. The ones who make millions a year(who you don't hear about) are the ones who bet 50k late in the week on a college football game for 50k instead of betting the lower limits at opening time.
    No clue if/when they actually bet them themselves, but RAS does not release CBB totals until limits have been raised and numbers are WA.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Wow, you guys really helped out the OP here.. I'm sure he really needed to hear guys deriding anyone who would bet $100 with a big edge.

If I ask a question on props can you guys inform me about how no one worth a shit bothers with them?

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    Wow, you guys really helped out the OP here.. I'm sure he really needed to hear guys deriding anyone who would bet $100 with a big edge.

If I ask a question on props can you guys inform me about how no one worth a shit bothers with them?
    Just trying to help. Why would you put so much effort into something with minimal returns when you could put your effort into other bets which yield greater returns...

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

100$? Even worse then Baseball Overnight Lines. (300$)

fminc
    fminc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    they open with $100 limits
    Great point to ask a question ive been waiting too.

Why is this Durito? (if u care to explain, i will try and give mine)

For example in pre race trading on horses on betfair (not handicapping, just order flow scalping), a thin market moves faster. So are u implying because there is only $100 liq on the bid or ask, Pinny can gauge the flow in smaller increments and quickly adjust (i knw the difference between xchange and pinny, but for practical purposes its a mkt weather set or bid for) as opposed to say 100K on each side begining liquidity (hypothetically!) which would take longer periods to get gobbled up.

Ok, Im restating the obvious, obviously. But my question is, u answered Op's question there and then right?? U did not mean say ...."oh, its only 100 bucks" .. right?

P.s. Im not trying to put anyone down here (OP for ex), its key to my understanding of order flow in the sports betting mkt and say comparing it to fx. So sorry for the dumbness, and i did not want to start a thread for this obv, so i waited for a point where to ask it, ty.