Hanger
    NCAA '10 59.45% | 129-88-5
    Hanger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 215

Quick Question regarding tempo

I understand how tempo is derived...my question is with the FOUR FACTOR theory, and the tempo that is applied, is the TEMPO=Possessions. My question is,
    if Team A has a tempo of 66
    Team B has a tempo of 68

As a illustrative reference only: In theory would the total # of possessions be 67(the average), would it be
    134(the sum), or would it be 67(the average)/2= 33.5 for each team.

I understand that it would have to be weighted accordingly based on teams and differences, this is just a lay interpretation so I understand what the actual number is conveying. Thank you.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

This is a very complex question, and you have to look at 1000's of games to get a decent answer.

Consider a couple different scenarios:
    1. The league average is 60. 1 team is 10% above average, the other is 13% above average. You might expect these two teams to finish 16% above, for pace of 69.5.
    2. The league average is 75. One team is 12% below average, the other is 9.5% below. You might expect these two to finish 14% below, or at or 64.5.

Wow! If a typical team has an efficiency of over 100, that's a 5 point difference in your total!

Are there other things that affect pace, other than how a team has done in the past? Are all paces created equally? ...

Hanger

Yes, that is what I was trying to understand. In my mind pace/tempo is going to vary game to game. Nationally televised games might be a slower tempo with more television timeouts. If there are more fouls in the game, tempo will be reduced. Anything that affects possessions/minutes played will reduce or increase the factor of "tempo"

However for the question that I originally asked, I have found my answer, it is per team so an average number is anywhere from 120-140 possessions per game.

Justin, I understand what you are saying, this is one of those questions that can have 100 variables that will ultimately affect the outcome mathematically. It is quite possible that one could argue variables to add. Thanks for the input.

ScreaminPain
    ScreaminPain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3172

This will work for most simple calculations....

Predicted Pace formula:
    =ROUND($A1/$C$5)*($B1*$C$5)*$C$5

A1=Adj. tempo Team A
    B1=Adj. Tempo Team B
    C5=Tempo of all teams (league average)

Hanger

Interesting Screamin Pain.....Thank you.