statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Was this the dumbest fukkin bet ever?

So I was getting ready to bet on Kentucky on Saturday and was line shopping, as is my want. Compared lines and got the following idea:

Lost Straight Wager
    Kentucky 14 vs Tennessee U 24 Kentucky +125

11/27/2010 - 09:30 AMCFB [152] TENNESSEE U -2-110
    Score: KENTUCKY(14) - TENNESSEE U(24)WIN
    First ticket from Carib and the second from BetJam.

Before placing the wagers I checked the half point calculator to check it. NCAAF line of 2 ending in a 1 point win for the fave (only way to lose both wagers) was 1.77%. It landed on 2 at 2.48% chance of losing half of my wager, but the smaller on.

So I figured a 95%+ chance of winning 3.3% of my wagered amount.

Any input is welcome. It is not a true Arb obviously, but at -110/+125, thought it was worth the shot. Of course, not a long term strategy.

Anyone ever done anything like this before?

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

no. just bet the team you like and hope you guessed right.

Shelton
    Shelton's Avatar Become A Pro!

luck is always good to have on ur side

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

no one has never done nothing like this before

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

It is slightly -ev, about -0.24%.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pick a game that is up live,
    And try to hedge

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

An economist would call this type of thing statistical arbitrage. If you line shop like crazy, you can find profitable opportunities. It's not very hard to figure out the EV if you have reliable push rates. The harder part is making sure your push frequencies are accurate and I'm becoming more convinced that the traditional method of using small historical landing area % isn't the best way to do obtain these.

Salamander
    Salamander's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another person discovering a Polish middle makes those in Warsaw and Krakow very proud.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    So I was getting ready to bet on Kentucky on Saturday and was line shopping, as is my want. Compared lines and got the following idea:

Lost Straight Wager
    Kentucky 14 vs Tennessee U 24 Kentucky +125

11/27/2010 - 09:30 AMCFB [152] TENNESSEE U -2-110
    Score: KENTUCKY(14) - TENNESSEE U(24)WIN
    First ticket from Carib and the second from BetJam.

Before placing the wagers I checked the half point calculator to check it. NCAAF line of 2 ending in a 1 point win for the fave (only way to lose both wagers) was 1.77%. It landed on 2 at 2.48% chance of losing half of my wager, but the smaller on.

So I figured a 95%+ chance of winning 3.3% of my wagered amount.

Any input is welcome. It is not a true Arb obviously, but at -110/+125, thought it was worth the shot. Of course, not a long term strategy. Anyone ever done anything like this before?
    If it's not a good long term strategy, it's not a good short one either.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

definitely -ev

chance of landing on tenn -1 or -2 may not be small but its enough to more than negate the small profit (-110/+125) you'd make otherwise

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    If it's not a good long term strategy, it's not a good short one either.
    that goes for anything -expected value

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is in the wrong forum.

statnerds
    Put me in coach

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    An economist would call this type of thing statistical arbitrage. If you line shop like crazy, you can find profitable opportunities. It's not very hard to figure out the EV if you have reliable push rates. The harder part is making sure your push frequencies are accurate and I'm becoming more convinced that the traditional method of using small historical landing area % isn't the best way to do obtain these.
    1. I failed to check the size of the "small historical landing area %". Never considered that. Good point sir.

2. It only became an idea because of the Books I use all had +115, and then here comes Carib with +125. So it was a choice and a decision I made in about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Perhaps a better question would have been at what price would it become +EV, if there is a realistic one?

1.5 -110
    ML +125?

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    no one has never done nothing like this before

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    1. I failed to check the size of the "small historical landing area %". Never considered that. Good point sir.

2. It only became an idea because of the Books I use all had +115, and then here comes Carib with +125. So it was a choice and a decision I made in about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Perhaps a better question would have been at what price would it become +EV, if there is a realistic one?

1.5 -110
    ML +125?
    Assuming that your push rates are accurate, I calculate that your wager was actually +EV (approx 0.23%).

I don't do this. I do wager on smaller edges with higher win %'s but the problem here (and with many of these kind of wagers) is because the edge is so small, despite the extremely high win %, you cannot wager a significant portion of your bankroll on it. From the financial world, it is like picking up pennies in front of a steamroller.

Joe.

statnerds
    Put me in coach

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    Assuming that your push rates are accurate, I calculate that your wager was actually +EV (approx 0.23%).

I don't do this. I do wager on smaller edges with higher win %'s but the problem here (and with many of these kind of wagers) is because the edge is so small, despite the extremely high win %, you cannot wager a significant portion of your bankroll on it. From the financial world, it is like picking up pennies in front of a steamroller.

Joe.
    Thanks for the advice Joe.

I really don't see this ever happening again even from an opportunity standpoint. I cannot figure why Carib would have the ML on a Line with 2 at +125 on the dog.

Well I do, but I mean it is going to be rare to ever see a ML that high on such a short dog again.

goblinburner
    yanks-1 1/2
    goblinburner's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can tell you my dumbest bet ever it was last evening when i had a teaser nc state +15*lost vs wisconsin Purdue +4½ *win vs Virginia Tech Memphis Grizzlies +11½ *win vs Atlanta Hawks Miami Heat -5½ *win vs Detroit Pistons
    Utah Jazz -2*win vs Indiana Pacers i just do a multi chance or round robin maybe i win less but ill win something with those 4/5 games