rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Homecourt Adv in NBA

I was trying to search for where I read what Homecourt advantage in NBA was worth, I cannot remember if it was 3 points or whatever..I am finding that it is worth around 2 points, can anyone confirm this..im going to continue searching

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

So far this season its 1.79 according to Sagrain but I think usually its around 3 points.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

any tips on how to calculate it
    i think it might vary from team to team

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

I'd say 3 points as well. When I see a home team at -3, I digest that in my brain as a pick-em at a neutral site. That is all one needs to know about this IMO. Don't kill yourself trying to calculate it.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

3.15 points over the past 5 seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/by...ar=season_2010

It's easy to figure out with splits. Just find the average home team PPG and the average road team PPG and compare the two.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

HFA varies wildly. The longer the team has been at home, the more it is worth. The longer the visitor has been traveling, the greater that team will be penalized.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    HFA varies wildly. The longer the team has been at home, the more it is worth. The longer the visitor has been traveling, the greater that team will be penalized.
    Is this for basketball only?

If so depending on how you calculate the numbers for this there are a couple situations that would effect the numbers.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

3 Points.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

It depends on rest too.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

durito I was gonna post that I broke down 0 , 1 , 2 , 3+ days rest and homecort I worked out to around 3.3

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

Justin is right. With erratic schedules and differing venues, homecourt advantage can be significantly different from team to team, and even game to game among the same teams. Further, some teams are much better at home than on the road, and some teams are almost as good on the road as they are at home, which effects the HCA of who they are playing. BTW, that last part is doubly true for college basketball and it provides a great opportunity to get value on road teams, both as favorites and underdogs, because there are a lot of times where too much HCA is given in opening lines.

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    Justin is right. With erratic schedules and differing venues, homecourt advantage can be significantly different from team to team, and even game to game among the same teams. Further, some teams are much better at home than on the road, and some teams are almost as good on the road as they are at home, which effects the HCA of who they are playing. BTW, that last part is doubly true for college basketball and it provides a great opportunity to get value on road teams, both as favorites and underdogs, because there are a lot of times where too much HCA is given in opening lines.
    Very good information. Do you have any other tips you could share on home court advantage in regards to either CBB/NBA/finding value on road teams, etc. or any other general tips on betting cbb/nba u think is invaluable info

How many points do you believe A Back To Back is worth vs a team not on a back to back.. i Usually credit 2 points to it.

laxbrah420
    laxbrah420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 505

Can't speak for NBA, but Vanderbilt has its benches behind each basket rather than the sidelines so its tough for coaches to talk to players..Vandy has developed hand signals to deal with it and gives them a nice home advantage
    Points Awarded:

Justin7 gave laxbrah420 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

thanks for the link alling
    its hard to guage which is more accurate, Massey has Charlotte as 5th best home advantage whereas team rankings has them 22nd overall

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

this is my idea to calculate home court advantage get the league home margin of victory, compare it to the home teams average margin of victory at home and the away teams average margin on the road. is this a fair way to evaluate this