TooHottie
    TooHottie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Buying Points

Anyone have any research on when it is right to buy points? I have two books, one that lets me buy 1/2 point on any number for -120, unless is it on or off the 3, then it is -125. The other book won't let you buy off the 3 for any amount, which makes me wonder why - maybe buying off the three is +ev for the player?

Anyone looked into this before?

Thanks in advance

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

Perhaps I'm confused by the wording. When you say they let you buy a half point for -120, do you mean as opposed to -110 so the half point cost 10 cents? If so, this is standard and its not a good deal in too many spots, if you're saying it actually cost 20 cents then this is a horrible deal.

Buying Half Points in NFL

Half Points to for sure buy at 10 cents

3 <-- but no one offers it at 10 cents.

7 - (+6.5 and +7 buy fully to +7.5 when 10 cents per half point / -7.5 and -7 buy fully to -6.5 when 10 cents per point *don't pay 15 cents as many sites no charge*.

10 - (Buying on/off/trough 10 is about neutral at 10 cents)

14 - (Also around neutral 10 cents is very close to fair price).

Half points to buy at 20 cent

3 - paying 20 cents for this one is fine. It will be close either way depending on the total.

Buying Points in Other Sports

College Football - There are not too many profitable half point buys. The 3 at 10 cents (rare but can still be found for college football) worth it for low spread / low total. There are probably also a few spots where the 7 is worth it as well at 10 cents. Blindly though these are bad plays.

Basketball - I have no idea if this is fallacy or not (perhaps someone smarter can comment) but apparently multiple point buys stringed together increase the value of each half point in some spot? I guess this is beyond my level of thinking and I don't bet a lot of basketball so haven't bothered to really stare at that one. For me I don't buy points in basketball; at 10 cents per half point buying one or two half points is a sucker deal.
    Points Awarded:

MadTiger gave prop 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MadTiger, and TooHottie

TooHottie
    TooHottie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sorry, should have been more clear. Yes, my one book offers 10 cents for any number except on or off three, then it is 15 cents. It was only because the second book didn't offer it that made me think it might be good value.

Thanks for the detailed response.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

15 cents on the three is an awesome deal if we're talking NFL. It won't matter what the total is you should buy through that 100% of the time taking -3.5 and -3 to -2.5, and +2.5 and +3 to +3.5.

I would consider though doing more research about the book you're betting with that allows this.

If we're talking college football, then it makes more sense and generally is not a good buy at 15 cents.

Arilou
    Arilou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 949

Yes, buying around the 3 at 15 cents is mandatory. In fact, when in doubt you probably want to pop all the +2.5 and -3.5 lines on general principles especially if the book is leaning. I would also buy it in college at 15, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

I'd also keep an eye out for possible scalps that involve buying points at this book and selling them back to Pinnacle (or on big games occasionally Matchbook).

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Do yourself a favor and forget all the nonsense about buying points, any book that offers it is well aware of the cost and makes sure your buying at a premium. On purely a betting point of view I would question why you would even want to get involved in a game where 1/2 point might make a difference, its not as if there's limited games.
    Just as side point, its my experience that selling points off key numbers is more profitable but still not what you want on a regular basis.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Playing at Pinnacle on dynamic lines affords bettors a lot of opportunities to place wagers when a line is moving in one direction but your interest lies in the other direction. You might see a line juiced heavily one way and notice that you can get that extra half point, or even a full point at a bargain rate. You're gaining more value when the line doesn't actually move, but rather just gets juiced, but that's a fairly common occurrence.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by TooHottie View Post
    Anyone have any research on when it is right to buy points? I have two books, one that lets me buy 1/2 point on any number for -120, unless is it on or off the 3, then it is -125. The other book won't let you buy off the 3 for any amount, which makes me wonder why - maybe buying off the three is +ev for the player?

Anyone looked into this before?

Thanks in advance
    It depends on if it is Pro or College Football.

3 side on Pro is worth 20 cents. 3 side in College...somewhere around 10 cents...i'm not sure exactly.

7 is worth buying for 10 cents in the NFL. Not sure exactly in College...maybe 6 or 7 cents.
    Last edited by RonPaul2008; 10-24-10 at 02:17 AM.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Without using the exchanges is the closest o can get to selling points back to the book is by betting the alt line?
    Thanks

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBNUT View Post
    Do yourself a favor and forget all the nonsense about buying points, any book that offers it is well aware of the cost and makes sure your buying at a premium. On purely a betting point of view I would question why you would even want to get involved in a game where 1/2 point might make a difference, its not as if there's limited games.
    Just as side point, its my experience that selling points off key numbers is more profitable but still not what you want on a regular basis.
    Just.. wow. Based on a small sample, if you fade chubnut methodology, you're going to be doing it right.

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

Quote Originally Posted by LegitBet View Post
    Without using the exchanges is the closest o can get to selling points back to the book is by betting the alt line?
    Thanks
    Pinny lets you sell points. 5dimes generally has enough alt-spreads very close to a game spread that you can sell points.