pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

linemakers at the books

when you're running a book, you're not going to have 50/50 action on every single events. are books' linemakers successful gamblers who is "making wagers" at minus vig?

my former theory is that books always want to have 50/50 to minimize risk and get a guranteed profit, but a lot of posters think that is not the case.

i know each book is different, for discussion sake, use the following 3 books: (or you can make a generalization if it is possible, or discuss book of your choice)

1. pinnacle
    2. greek
    3. bodog

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14790

You are right - the "risk tolerance"s is different at every book. Most probably try to shoot more for a 55/45 percentage. That way if the side they think will lose loses, they get paid nice but if that side wins it's just break even.

Pinnacle - Their volume at reduced juice (and high maximums) means they need to interject their opinion into the line freuqently. They might take a bath on certain games but the volume of action adds up to a lot of vig and wins coming their way to more than make up for it.

Greek - I'd say The Greek tries their hardest to make a profit on any action they can. Lines up early and they get slammed, they adjust, etc. Probably can open themself to lobsided action more then any other book out there. But they bank on their opinions and the opinions of their sharper action taken. If it even means laying off action elsewhere, they can do it to reduce risks and still make some very big profits.

Bodog - Completely different philosophy I'd say then the first two. They'll either shade their line to the favorite or just keep the line the same as everyone else. And they keep maximums relatively low, as well as put lines up later than other places. They would clearly have less of a risk tolerance than the other places mentioned. Their goal is generally to charge more for taking the favorite and figure that sooner or later that side loses more often, or trying to draw equal action and sucking in all the vig they can with a lot of small wagers added up to a lot for them.

Every book is different.

beetman
    beetman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bodog also deals dual lines which the others don't do, and Bodog also puts bettors on a delay so that they can move their line before you bet.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Books NEVER get 50/50 action on a game. In the big markets (NBA and NFL), they can come close... But the smaller stuff is almost a crap-shot. You can hang an arena line, get all one-sided action. You move a full point off-market, and no one will take the wrong side unless it is scalpable.

Cannon
    Cannon's Avatar Become A Pro!

-110 will cover them and that simple math formula will assure them a profit. They might take a few hits but the juice will set them free.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2111

I always thought the guys making the lines could easily maintain a 60% winning record ATS in any sport. I think they think know they can make even more money booking bets.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    I always thought the guys making the lines could easily maintain a 60% winning record ATS in any sport.
    No

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

People making the lines are generally weaker than the people betting into the lines since the skillsets do not overlap to that great a degree.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    I always thought the guys making the lines could easily maintain a 60% winning record ATS in any sport. I think they think know they can make even more money booking bets.
    If they could do that then it would make much sense to be a linesmaker.....