Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Poission distribution in excel POISSON.DIST

So this is a real simple question for you excel "masters" out there. Excel asks for

POISSON.DIST(x;mean;cumulative)

Now i dont want to poison you with my guess of how it works so instead i'm just going to say that I have an expected value of goals scored for hockey team of 2.8. Assuming goals scored is integer and poisson distribution is correct I want to make a poisson distribution of this. Do I need additional data? What do I enter as input for mentioned excel function?

Diva_Diane
    Diva_Diane's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe you want:

POISSON(0,2.8,FALSE)

For the probability of zero goals. For Excel help, I turn to youtube a lot...lots of videos on there that can teach you what you want to know in 5 minutes or less. For example, for this topic, I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yOP5UMtL4

DD
    Points Awarded:

MadTiger gave Diva_Diane 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MadTiger

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Diva_Diane earned some points from me.

She de-lurked to answer a question for someone. That is what this site is about, not the soap opera, Albert Pike, etc. going on here.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Thanks guys, got it now. Simply (integer score;expected score(or mean);false(to get the discrete probability for this exact case))