bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonQueen View Post
    Conversely, all the edges in the world won't help you if you don't have proper money management.

Here's some math:

You have a lock that will win 99% of the time, so you bet 100% of your bankroll and you lose all your money in the long run anyway.
    Technically true, but not relevant for most bettors. Step #1 is finding an edge, which most of the time may be fairly modest. And I'd guess that most bettors are too conservative, not too aggressive, when it comes to money management (assuming they do in fact have an edge) -- it can hurt them, absolutely, but finding an edge (the horse) has to come before money management (the cart).
    Last edited by bztips; 08-27-10 at 02:57 PM.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonQueen View Post
    Conversely, all the edges in the world won't help you if you don't have proper money management.

Here's some math:

You have a lock that will win 99% of the time, so you bet 100% of your bankroll and you lose all your money in the long run anyway.
    this and nobody gets it. you need math and the ability to pick winners yes no question about it but if you don't know how to manage your bankroll you will go broke. not gonna argue about math and numbers, but theeeee first thing you need to concentrate on is money and your knowledge of it; before anything else!

Peeig
    Underbetting my roll
    Peeig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1213

Quote Originally Posted by bztips View Post
    Technically true, but not relevant for most bettors. Step #1 is finding an edge, which most of the time may be fairly modest. And I'd guess that most bettors are too conservative, not too aggressive, when it comes to money management (assuming they do in fact have an edge) -- it can hurt them, absolutely, but finding an edge (the horse) has to come before money management (the cart).
    +1, thank u, i fial at inglish

natasselur
    natasselur's Avatar Become A Pro!

all the math you need to know is if you can win 55% of the bets you make money

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17852

Really? It depends on what lines your betting on. Win 55% on only -200 lines and you'd be in trouble.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Meth helps in sports betting because it makes your senses more acute, your brain is more aware, you have a lot more self confidence and aggressiveness.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Math is everything.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Meth helps in sports betting because it makes your senses more acute, your brain is more aware, you have a lot more self confidence and aggressiveness.

Sometimes I think I am the one tripping reading some of these threads and I don't do drugs (no, I really don't!) In fact, given the opportunity many, many years ago, I didn't inhale!

Joe.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Quote Originally Posted by ssk13809 View Post
    But thanks for the advice everyone. And FYI, I am already very talented with math. But just was looking to see how its directly used in sports betting.

So read some books, and search threads started by Ganchrow? Well 1 guy tried that, it didn't work...
    This bit made me laugh... claiming to be talented at something when you are clearly unable to apply it. Yet another overschooled twerp who can solve a quadratic equation in 0.8 seconds but has no concept of applying theoretical knowledge to the real world. The application bit requires original and creative thought and therefore is much harder for most people. If you can't do it then claiming to be good at maths is like claiming to be a good driver.....compared to all the other blind people.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    eventually, he will find the edge of a cliff to jump off of
    Funny shit

ringbearer
    ringbearer's Avatar Become A Pro!

I laughed out loud IRL. now ppl think I'm crazy

Sent from my iPhone.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

yes, how else you count all the monies you won

wade1
    wade1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Flip a coin, you have a 50% chance of winning. Then use a labby. No kidding it works

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Already oddsmakers use math while making the odds/lines. I think a bettor should use a different thing if he wants to beat they.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Quote Originally Posted by gangeriver View Post
    Already oddsmakers use math while making the odds/lines. I think a bettor should use a different thing if he wants to beat they.
    Even if there was one thing called "math" this wouldn't be true because the bookie's objective on setting a line may be different from mine when choosing whether to bet or not.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

How can you count your winnings without Math?

First 12