Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

A Statement About My Posted Puzzles

A poster just asked me (amongst other choice and rather vitriolic comments) if I "get [my] jollies feeling superior ... by posting ridiculous obscure puzzles that [I] know no one can solve?"

Although that particular poster made his jerkdom rather apparent, I do hope that that's not how other TT posters and lurkers view such posts of mine.

I do understand that these puzzles can often take an unreasonable amount of time to solve. Still, I post them because they're fun for me to think up and hopefully fun for those people with extra time on their hands (or a strong desire to procrastinate) to attempt to solve. These aren't IQ tests by any stretch, and while an analytical brand of intelligence might generally be considered a necessary condition for solving these puzzles, it's far from a sufficient one.

Just because I'm authoring these little toys doesn't mean that if similar puzzles were presented to me to solve I'd be any better than anyone else here at completing them, or indeed would even have the time or patience to devote more than a few minutes attempting to do so.

So if you have other shit to do, please don't bother with these silly little often frustrating time wasters, which is all they really are.

And most importantly, if I've alienated anyone either by posting them or with my attitude in presenting hints or comments, or if I've inadvertently given off the impression that solving these in any way correlates to the measure of a man, I do very humbly apologize as that was never my intention and in no way whatsoever represents my point of view.

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Ganchrow View Post
    Although that particular poster made his jerkdom rather apparent, I do hope that that's not how other TT posters and lurkers view such posts of mine.
    Not at all Ganchrow. It is sad that you have to actually deal with people sending negative mail such as this. Yes, you are very knowledgeable in math, logic, and probably a host of other subjects, but you have always maintained, at least to my knowledge, a understanding that there is a vast sea of knowledge and we all are just a part of it. It is always upsetting when I find someone talking down to someone because that person doesn't have the knowledge the other does (something you do not do). I usually ask the offending party "What is the ATP yield in the Kreb Cycle?" I mean since they seem to have a vastly superior intellect this should be a no brainer for them.

Anyway, I do enjoy your posts and your puzzles, not because I understand them at all, but because I get to see insights into a world I rarely explore. It is like reading a neuro-surgeon's report with diagrams and a full explanation, very insightful and interesting.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this hardship you have to go through just for posting something fun. I wish you the best.

Last edited by DukeJohn; 07-09-10 at 07:01 AM.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

I echo what Duke John says.

I wouldn't waste time with bitter folks like that, everyone knows how much you contribute here and never talk down to, show up others, even though you could.

Please don't dissappear on us again either.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Nah, you sounded like you were trying to contribute something fun to me.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Bah. Don't let the detractors get to you, Ganch. Post another one!

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Oh. You already did. LOL.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Waste of time responding to that, Ganch.

Are your puzzles too hard? I don't know. I've never solved one. lol

djiddish98
    djiddish98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

I dig the puzzles - I learned a little about bitwise operations while trying to solve the last one.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I enjoy all of your contributions and puzzles in the tank being someone who never received a college education and has educated himself in math and is attempting to learn computer programming through reading books I enjoy the challenge of your posts, it gives me a fun way to learn and expand my knowledge.

JustinBieber
    JustinBieber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

I dont understand any of your puzzle posts probably like a lot of people but I think it's idiotic to suggest you stop posting them because of the said reasons.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Duke John said it better than I would so I'll merely add that I appreciate your posts, your puzzles and the time and effort that go into them. Thanks.

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm glad to see you and your puzzles back online. I wish I had the time right now to work on the latest puzzle.

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

I love the puzzles and your posting. You were absent when I became involved with SBR, but I enjoyed going back and reading your old threads. Anyone on the board can learn a lot from them. I'm glad you're back.

Keep the puzzles coming. They're a great break from ERA, WHIP, etc.!

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    I'm glad to see you and your puzzles back online. I wish I had the time right now was smart enough to work on the latest puzzle.
    This. Changed to reflect my more accurate abilities.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16961

"Don't let the bastards get you down."
    Last edited by HedgeHog; 07-10-10 at 05:17 PM.