Grind-It-Out
    Grind-It-Out's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 942

Trying to Optimize a "Consensus Plays" Script

I have access to all the baseball picks from 'cappers on one sports monitor.

I wrote a quick and dirty script to try to get consensus plays, but I'd really like your help on how to make it better.

I have...
    Step 1: Query for all handicappers who are hitting at the equivalent of 57% or better on a -110 line (I calculate this by units of profit per bet).
    Step 2: Take each capper's (units of profit / #games) and set that as the initial rating for that capper. If a capper has picked less than 100 games, multiply the initial rating by (#games / 100) so we take into account the confidence level.
    Step 3: Have an outer loop with all games being played today and an inner loop fetching all picks from each qualified capper for any particular game. If a capper picked a team, add his rating to the total value of that team. If a team ends up with a value of >.25 + the value of its opponent, pick that team as a consensus play.

Like I said, it's quick and dirty, and not very good.

I can provide code if that would help. Thanks so much!

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

What would you like to know? It sounds like you have it working as planned? Has it lost in the past year or something?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    What would you like to know? It sounds like you have it working as planned? Has it lost in the past year or something?
    I have a situation where I have a group of cappers like:
    Capper A: 238 - 157, +36.75
    Capper B: 37 - 18, +22.84
    Capper C: 72 - 41, +20.02
    Capper X: 9 - 1, +8.1
    ..., etc.

I'm basically asking if anybody has an idea of a more optimum way to get a consensus play when some of these players disagree, because you'll never get a consensus from ALL of the handicappers.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Your first step already sucks.

What if I've bet one game and won? I am hitting 100%, but who cares? You need to use a metric that accounts for statistical significance.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Your first step already sucks.

What if I've bet one game and won? I am hitting 100%, but who cares? You need to use a metric that accounts for statistical significance.
    Read step 2.

Also, I agree I need to filter further. Thus why I'm asking for help.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

There are no profitable long term baseball players listed on any consensus site.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Are there that many cappers that are hitting 57% over lots of games?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    There are no profitable long term baseball players listed on any consensus site.
    This isn't a consensus site. This is a handicapper monitor. I just happen to have access to all of their picks, so I can create my own consensus.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    Are there that many cappers that are hitting 57% over lots of games?
    There are currently two guys hitting over 57% after 100+ games. But there are also guys that are 8-0 after 8 games, 14-2 after 16 games, etc. I'm wondering what value, if any, I should give those players.

Maybe it would be better to simply play all of the games from the two 100+ game cappers, and ignore any picks on which they disagree.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Your 2nd step is not correctly bringing in a confidence interval.

I would take all the cappers, run them through a filter to see who is significantly doing better than some % (57% in your case), and drop everyone else. I imagine you will be dropping a shitload of people though.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by Grind-It-Out View Post
    This isn't a consensus site. This is a handicapper monitor. I just happen to have access to all of their picks, so I can create my own consensus.
    Either way if you think these people are gonna hit the equivalent of 57% v -110 on WA MLB lines you are wrong.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Your 2nd step is not correctly bringing in a confidence interval.

I would take all the cappers, run them through a filter to see who is significantly doing better than some % (57% in your case), and drop everyone else. I imagine you will be dropping a shitload of people though.
    Very good point. What about something like this for determining each capper's rating...

1: Determine adjusted win % by taking units of profit per pick (units of profit / # bets) and setting it equal to .91*w - (1 - w).
    2: Figure out adjusted # wins by taking adjusted win% * num bets.
    3: Use binomial distribution and solve for the probability such that the Cumulative Probability: P(X < #wins) ~= .95.

Example 1: Handicapper A is 252 - 182, +42.74 units.
    1: 42.47/(252+182) = 1.91w -1
    w% = 57.5%
    2. #wins = .575 * (252+182) = 249.55
    3. In our binomial distribution formula, set #trials to (252+182) and #successes to 249.55. Find the probability such that Cumulative Probability: P(X < 249.55) ~= .95. Use the resulting probability as our final adjusted win% for this capper. Capper A is a 53.5% capper.

Example 2: Handicapper B is 6-0, +6.05
    1: 6.05/6 = 1.91w - 1
    w% = 105% -> adjust to 100%, since a greater % is not possible.
    2: #wins = 6
    3: Capper B is a 59% capper. Hmmm, I was hoping it didn't work out like that.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    Either way if you think these people are gonna hit the equivalent of 57% v -110 on WA MLB lines you are wrong.
    Very true. Perhaps I should and will lower the number.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

And this all assumes, each capper comes with his own unique picks...

If a capper "borrows" from another capper your "consensus" becomes just that much weaker...

Not sure how much this happens, but its something to think about.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Judging ones success comes down to a lot more than win loss records and profit over small samples.

Are these cappers beating the closer? not beating the closer? have you actually kept tabs on their W/L record or are you just taking their word for it? if you are personally tracking their record, are they profiting against the opener or they profiting against the closer?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    Judging ones success comes down to a lot more than win loss records and profit over small samples.

Are these cappers beating the closer? not beating the closer? have you actually kept tabs on their W/L record or are you just taking their word for it? if you are personally tracking their record, are they profiting against the opener or they profiting against the closer?
    I can verify that all the records are accurate.

I have access to:
    Time of pick, team picked, line at time of pick, closing line

Maybe I need to find a way to use all of that information.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    And this all assumes, each capper comes with his own unique picks...

If a capper "borrows" from another capper your "consensus" becomes just that much weaker...

Not sure how much this happens, but its something to think about.
    That's actually a really good point. I know they don't borrow from each other (because they can't see each other's picks), but they may borrow from some third party. Or, multiple cappers may use a very similar handicapping method, which would be almost as bad.