FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Regression To The Mean

This is a creative idea I had the other day and was curious what you guys thought. Say I tracked a bunch of diff random variables. Like all NBA tots, Soccer tots, and MLB tots (notice these are all "50/50" lines). Then say we make bets only when they are 0-9. Is this a foolish idea? Is there any advantage to betting on something only because it is far from the mean?

bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, a very foolish idea.
    They're independent events, the point total in a given NBA game has nothing to do with what the point total in a prior NBA game was (there's no "memory", just like we always say to those who think they should bet a certain lottery number because it's "due").

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by bztips View Post
    Yes, a very foolish idea.
    They're independent events, the point total in a given NBA game has nothing to do with what the point total in a prior NBA game was (there's no "memory", just like we always say to those who think they should bet a certain lottery number because it's "due").
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but not agreeing either. Say for example you found a edge of 2% over 1000 games. you are 0-990. That means there is no reason to bet more on the last ten games of the set? I think I'm miss some underlying concepts.

bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, first of all I'd seriously reconsider if my .02 EV was really any good if it just lost 990 times in a row. But ignoring that, YES there is no reason to bet more on the last ten games just because you've gone through a losing streak. Now there may be OTHER reasons to change your bet size (a la Kelly), but they have nothing to do with the question that you asked.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Take an infinite amount of monkeys typing on an infinite amount of typewriters, sooner or later a monkey will write Hamlet. Somewhat like going 0-9, or 9-0.

Now, would you want to hire that monkey to write Romeo and Juliet for you?