vitalogist
    GET LOOSE!
    vitalogist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Who here uses advanced metrics in capping MLB?

I've been all over these in the past weeks and my bankroll has benefited greatly. Looking at numbers like:

FIP
    xFIP
    BABIP
    Walk / Strikeout ratios

Along with the ZiPS projections at fangraphs.com, you can really find some nice value out there fading the public who is laying heavy chalk and looking at numbers like ERA to evaluate pitcher's performance.

If you use these metrics, which ones do you use, and how do you use them in conjunction with each other in coming to your conclusions?

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

i use a combination of xFIP, FIP, ERA/WHIPx, xERA, and a projected ERA based on running a regression model with the lehman database using FIP and xERA, then weight all the following concomitantly with the pitcher's average line, and come up with a line that way

if you just use ERA you'll get some lines taht are like -1500 because there may be a 5 run difference, but by season's end, and running some sort of regression, the era tightens up

i've been able to get down to a 3-5% RMSE with a .92-.93 correlation coefficient when compared to Pinny's openers running my model, which filters the plays that have value

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

Xera looks interesting

http://www.xera-baseball.com/

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
    i use a combination of xFIP, FIP, ERA/WHIPx, xERA, and a projected ERA based on running a regression model with the lehman database using FIP and xERA, then weight all the following concomitantly with the pitcher's average line, and come up with a line that way if you just use ERA you'll get some lines taht are like -1500 because there may be a 5 run difference, but by season's end, and running some sort of regression, the era tightens up i've been able to get down to a 3-5% RMSE with a .92-.93 correlation coefficient when compared to Pinny's openers running my model, which filters the plays that have value
    Great post.

craigpb
    craigpb's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7682

Look at these when looking at a game. Are definitely better than ancient formulas most look at.