dirk93
    dirk93's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 153

Excel Help

I am trying to decrease the amount of time I spend just copying and pasting stats into excel. Does anyone know if it is possible to extract a certain pitchers' tERA from this season from fangraphs.com? It is the only website I could find that has that stat. I would already have each pitchers name in excel, I would just need a way to automatically retrieve each pitchers' tERA.

Example: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...374&position=P
    tERA is under the "Batted Ball" section

Thanks

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

find the formula to calculate on your own and grab the raw data from baseball-ref

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Right click on the fangraphs page, select export to microsoft excel.

From there use Vlookups to pull what info you need.

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Use a web query

dirk93
    dirk93's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 153

Keep in mind I am using Excel 2008 for Mac, which doesn't have macros. TomG, do you have any Tips on how to do the web query? I have messed around with trying a dynamic web query and I can't figure it out for the life of me. It doesn't have the option where a web page pops up and you can manually select what you want from the page. I have been trying to use this page to help me but I still can't figure it out: http://www.vertex42.com/News/excel-web-query.html

I can do a basic web query, I just can't get it to do what I want specifically.

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can you import the data into Excel using a web query? That's your first step. Excel in Windows allows you to load the page and select the tables you want to import. The import is sometimes kind of crunk, but the data gets there. Once in Excel, we'll be able to help you parse it using Excel's formulas. If you can't get to this step, though, then you not gonna be able to use a web query.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

excel for mac sucks. i can't make anything work properly.