Foals
    Foals's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

Question on Arbitrage

I'm really new to the concept of arbing, but it seems like a huge moneymaker when done correctly. My question is - how can you compute the optimal profit for an arb?

I'm going to give an example. Lets say Pinny has

Pacquiao -300
    Mayweather +280

and a "square" book has

Pacquiao -250
    Mayweather +220

Obviously there is an opportunity to arb with taking Pacquiao -250 and Mayweather +280 but how can you compute the amount needed to get the best profit

vitalyo
    vitalyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Foals SBR has all the tools you need .

http://sbrforum.com/Betting+Tools/Ar...alculator.aspx

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

If you mean what is the bet size that guarantees you the highest profit no matter who wins, then use that calculator. I am guessing this is what you mean. In terms of expected value, you should just bet the bad line at the square book and not bet anything at Pinny.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Foals View Post
    I'm really new to the concept of arbing, but it seems like a huge moneymaker when done correctly. My question is - how can you compute the optimal profit for an arb?

I'm going to give an example. Lets say Pinny has

Pacquiao -300
    Mayweather +280

and a "square" book has

Pacquiao -250
    Mayweather +220

Obviously there is an opportunity to arb with taking Pacquiao -250 and Mayweather +280 but how can you compute the amount needed to get the best profit
    The formula you want is = (Bankroll if Mayweather wins) * Log (Probability Mayweather wins) + (Bankroll if Pacquiao wins) * Log (Probability Paquiao wins)

Maximize this # using excel solver.

You would have to set up constraints up to the limits of the amounts you could get down as the formula will give you a massive bet size since you have a risk free profit here.

Assuming your limits were 2500 on each side, and using the probabilites implied in pinnacles prices, the proper wager for a 10k bankroll would be $874 on Mayweather at +280 and $2500 on Pacquaio at -250.

Johnny 55
    Johnny 55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Foals, I think you are on to something with this whole arbitrage thing, off market prices, what a concept.