brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

How do you do result analytics?

Hi guys, just wondering what common analytics you guys use to examine your results? I.e; medians, st dev's, significnce tests, etc....

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

The metrics I use depend upon the technique, but overall I use the standards: win% & units won per season, mean squared error.

brettd

Can you some provide some more info please wreck? Right now, i've got the obvious stuff for each of my betting areas. Amounts outlayed, ROI%, number of betsm and strike rate %.

I want to essentially determine how statistically signifcant my ROI% results are, and with what % certainty I can expect these results going forward.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering what common analytics you guys use to examine your results? I.e; medians, st dev's, significnce tests, etc....
    Here’s how I look at this.

When I want to know if my results are “valid”, I check my results against what could happen by random chance. First, I always group my results by the type of wager. For example, I don’t mix ML and side wagers or in other words, I don’t want to mix lines of 100 and 200 etc together.

I will assume I am testing a sample of 400 side wagers with an average no-vig line of 100. First I calculate the std dev (Sq Rt (400*.5*.5)) = 10. By chance, on average, one should have 200 winners. One s.d. would be 190 to 210 winners, 2 s.d. 180 to 220 winners etc. I like my results to be greater than +2 s.d. and ideally greater than +2.5 s.d.

Typically, the larger the sample, the greater the accuracy.

Joe.

brettd

Ok so how would I apply it to this? I have 300 wagers at various prices recorded. My strike rate for those 300 wagers is 17.88%. I know for a fact that long term SR% is 35% for this betting segment (recorded over 10,000 bets).

What's the likelihood of running at 17.88% given a long term strike rate of 35%?