eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

If you have 5 different professions, are you still a professional in each?
    Let's say you have 5 different jobs that you put time in to every week, and you count the income from all 5 ventures as your income for the year, wouldn't that mean you are a professional in each venture?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

^
    Yes.

There are several definitions of the word 'professional' however...

If one is one has a particular skill or qualification and gets paid for that, than one by definition is a 'professional'

I write, I love to write, I write as a side hustle and as a hobby, sometimes I get a piece published and get paid for that. By definition and if you wish to play the semantics game, you could, and correctly say i am a 'professional' writer, which I don't consider myself to be, because that's not my main source of income.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

There are very very few professional gambler’s in the state of Nevada. There’s lucky if there’s five.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    If you have 5 different professions, are you still a professional in each?
    Let's say you have 5 different jobs that you put time in to every week, and you count the income from all 5 ventures as your income for the year, wouldn't that mean you are a professional in each venture?
    that's what i'm getting at

you're a professional driver if you drive for uber/lyft... you might only do it part time and make 5k/year but you're still professional vs recreational

the $ amount shouldn't determine the status, because it would be different for everyone anyway

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Mike thinks he led the Underground Railroad during covid and should have history books written about him. Not sure his opinion is what I would be taking
    please keep politics/covid discussions in the proper place

nobody cares to see you take stupid off topic cheap shots at posters or troll

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by franz555 View Post
    Good thread. A lot of wise advice
    When KVB speaks, I listen.
    When LB makes a wager, I pay attention.

Yes, good thread indeed.

There is a modicum of hope here at SBR.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    There are very very few professional gambler’s in the state of Nevada. There’s lucky if there’s five.
    that's completely ridiculous and untrue

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    that's what i'm getting at

you're a professional driver if you drive for uber/lyft... you might only do it part time and make 5k/year but you're still professional vs recreational

the $ amount shouldn't determine the status, because it would be different for everyone anyway
    Maybe semi-professional?

I mean, should the guy who makes $5k/yr be in the same category as the guy who makes $500k/yr? Semantics.

Nate rasta
    Update your status
    Nate rasta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

My bad wrong posted in wrong thread lol
    Last edited by Nate rasta; 12-13-22 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

jjgold

that's completely ridiculous and untrue
    Mike..wait ..I define a pro ZERO INCOME FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN SPORTSBETTING

milwaukee mike

that might be closer to true then... so many "professional" poker players ended up making almost all of their money from endorsements... professional slot/blackjack players made it from selling books... etc

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Maybe semi-professional?

I mean, should the guy who makes $5k/yr be in the same category as the guy who makes $500k/yr? Semantics.
    yeah, it's an interesting discussion

am i still a recreational drug user if i smoke 4 times/week and pop pills every day? or does that become professional

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

That's total nonsense. True pros have multiple sources of income. No need to limit to one.

I'd define a pro as someone who wins >$50k every year over more than 1,000 wagers. Bare minimums. And that's semi-pro. Real pro is >$200k/yr over 5,000+ wagers.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Nate rasta View Post
    My bad wrong posted in wrong thread lol
    Rookie mistake, all good.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    That's total nonsense. True pros have multiple sources of income. No need to limit to one.

I'd define a pro as someone who wins >$50k every year over more than 1,000 wagers. Bare minimums. And that's semi-pro. Real pro is >$200k/yr over 5,000+ wagers.
    what if the pro makes 30k from wagers, 20k from promos, 20k from advantage play on slots/vp?

that probably seems more like a "vegas guy" approach, hardly anyone puts through the kind of volume you do, with an edge on that many bets

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

what if the pro makes 30k from wagers, 20k from promos, 20k from advantage play on slots/vp?

that probably seems more like a "vegas guy" approach, hardly anyone puts through the kind of volume you do, with an edge on that many bets
    I suppose yeah if you're expanding beyond just sports betting. Which is fine, because the idea that you can only be pro if you do nothing else, is ridiculous.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

How did you file your taxes? Did you gamble with intent to win and can you show it? Did you gamble as a business and can you show it with time, energy, and records?

That's what could come up in an audit, it's not just numbers.

But come on man, the pro discussion in this thread is utterly ridiculous and JJ Gold is actually the closest but, instead of zero other income, it's very simple.

When you file your taxes, does the majority of your income come from gambling and was that intentional? Did you use a schedule C for wins and losses, or A? That's what makes you a professional gambler.

That's it. All the other nonsense in this thread about it is just that, nonsense. Keep it simple.

Does the majority of your income come from gambling? Did you file that way? If you told the IRS that you're a professional gambler can you prove it to their standards, to the code?

That's what makes you a professional gambler. There are standards that must be met. It's not the IRS that says you are a pro, it's you telling them you are a pro and they have standards that need to be met.

I would also add that in some states, like Wisconsin, casual bettors cannot deduct gambling losses but professional bettors can. There is no such thing as part time or semi pro. It's pro, or not. Note that they can subtract losses in "gambling sessions" to have a net gain each session but they cannot deduct negative sessions.

Here's another question you can ask.

Did you pay a self employment tax on your net gambling winnings?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

If you want to be a professional gambler, then you need to gamble professionally.

A 1987 Supreme Court case (Commissioner vs. Groetzinger) ruling helped spell out for gamblers the difference between trade or professional gambling and a hobby.

The IRS went on to spell out the differences between a business and a hobby, including some 9 factors that they feel should normally be taken into account.

Always remember...

In determining whether an activity is engaged in for profit, greater weight is given to objective facts than to the taxpayer's mere statement of his intent.
    ECFR...

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-26/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-1/subject-group-ECFRcc67ec453a5e514/section-1.183-2

FAQ with a tighter summary...

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-busin...ncome-expenses

There are not multiple definitions of professional when it comes to this discussion.

At the professional level, gambling is a business.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: peacebyinches

Nate rasta
    Update your status
    Nate rasta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

Blowouts can kill your player props,your player might sit out half the game

miaplus3
    miaplus3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3036

The think thats irritating to me is parlaying half & quarters across multiple teams/leagues. You have to hit soooo many keystrokes to get to the accept screen. I think the "same game" parlay features are way too much juice. Just let us parlay them on the stated money lines & duck.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    If you want to be a professional gambler, then you need to gamble professionally.

A 1987 Supreme Court case (Commissioner vs. Groetzinger) ruling helped spell out for gamblers the difference between trade or professional gambling and a hobby.

The IRS went on to spell out the differences between a business and a hobby, including some 9 factors that they feel should normally be taken into account.

Always remember...

ECFR...

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-26/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-1/subject-group-ECFRcc67ec453a5e514/section-1.183-2

FAQ with a tighter summary...

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-busin...ncome-expenses

There are not multiple definitions of professional when it comes to this discussion.

At the professional level, gambling is a business.
    If anything you should be discussing discipline on this site. The rest we all know.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    If you're a bulk bettor and must have action on anything that is on TV I guarantee you're a loser.

The successful sports bettors are spot bettors.

Do your homework, seek out value, pick your spots.

If you don't enjoy analytics, if you don't enjoy math, if you don't enjoy sports, and you want to be successful this isn't for you.
    Hey there nashy any thoughts on the potato or lending tree bowl thx In advance

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

I would say most professional gamblers don't have time to post on this site and squabble with the avg every day gambler. when the question is proposed as to what is your profession, it is typically how you support yourself and family. Less than 1% here are beyond recreational and there is nothing wrong with that. Gambling is typically an addiction more that a source of income. some control it like a small coke habit.
    Winning is fun and we all love that feeling. Not being addicted and out of control is the most important thing. learned that the hard way.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Who is still messing with traditional straight betting in 2022? Everybody became bonus whore or busy with arbing.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Hey there nashy any thoughts on the potato or lending tree bowl thx In advance
    Smokey?
    Long time fella, where have you been hiding?

San Jose State 31
    Eastern Michigan 24

and

Southern Miss 27
    Rice 13

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And Smokey, don't be a stranger.

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Prop bets is the way to go.
    prop bets is the fastest way to limit town here in Ontario, B365, BetRivers, Pointsbet, MGM all limit quickly if betting props with success.

The other way to get limited quickly is betting alt lines for the max.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

Quote Originally Posted by franz555 View Post
    Good thread. A lot of wise advice
    Yes indeed. Even after your post.

jjgold

Bet recreationally and have fun because most will destroy their lives if too into it

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Prop bets is the way to go.
    FWIW, I have a great deal of success this NFL season on one particular prop. If a game is being played in a dome or closed roof stadium, I take the "longest FG to be made". The number is usually between 46.5 yards and 47.5 yards. This isn't the 70s anymore--these kickers can make 50 FGs in their sleep.

Natty68
    Natty68's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2481

Don't a lot of supposedly 'pro' sports bettors also dabble at the poker tables? IMHO a bet should feel nice when you win and sting a little when you lose. For me that means a couple hundred bucks a bet. These guys betting their mortgage or car-note dough..........I just don't get it. Do the books even take it to the level of a 'visit from Vinnie'. anymore?

EasyCover
    EasyCover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4057

exchanges now booting NJ players you cannot make this up
    Go on twtiter and read up sportstrade
    I looked this up JJ. Can you tell me where to find this?

jjgold

go look up Spanky on twitter

Deposited 6 figures booted next day

NJ pro
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: EasyCover

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Quote Originally Posted by EasyCover View Post
    I looked this up JJ. Can you tell me where to find this?
    https://twitter.com/spanky/status/10...o7QbAQdbA&s=19

EasyCover
    EasyCover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4057

go look up Spanky on twitter

Deposited 6 figures booted next day

NJ pro
    I think this was William Hill, not Sporttrade.

First 123 Last