chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Best way to convert spread to ML to determine closing line value?

I initially started using the 1/2 pt calculator to determine this, but it's a PITA to do this all the time. With everything else I have automated in my spreadsheet, I wanted to do this the same, so I started brainstorming different ways. I also don't know how current the 1/2 pt calculator is kept up to date with fresh data on push probabilities.

One option is to record the ML price of the spread bet I make and get probability % based on that, then determine CLV based on closing ML.

Another option is that I scraped all the closing lines for all the main US sports since 2019 and have them in a table in a separate sheet of my spreadsheet. If I grabbed the average ML value for, for example, every time the spread was -7 -105 in the NFL, would that be close enough to determine CLV?

solring
    solring's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3146

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    I also don't know how current the 1/2 pt calculator is kept up to date with fresh data on push probabilities.
    From what I understand, it hasn't changed in 5+ years...

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 8780

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Another option is that I scraped all the closing lines for all the main US sports since 2019 and have them in a table in a separate sheet of my spreadsheet. If I grabbed the average ML value for, for example, every time the spread was -7 -105 in the NFL, would that be close enough to determine CLV?
    That's exactly how my simplistic brain would deal with it.

Have you compared that to what the point calculator reports?