weeminer
    weeminer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 805

Where books get their in play data from

Anyone know of the companies that provide them with in play data? Are they available to the public?

Lots of threads have discussed that books are always 5-30 seconds ahead of TV/ESPN when it comes to in game updates. Would be very interested if there was a way to get same updates that books get if there is some kind of a service.

HoneyTake_thePIC
    HoneyTake_thePIC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

If you go to NFL games in person, there is a direct feed that is about 10 seconds ahead of the main games.

Theres no way they dont pay for direct access or just use that.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9181

ibetyouadollar
    ibetyouadollar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2442

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    interesting link.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

The leagues sell the real time data to places like sportradar

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyTake_thePIC View Post
    If you go to NFL games in person, there is a direct feed that is about 10 seconds ahead of the main games.

Theres no way they dont pay for direct access or just use that.
    Main games? What are you trying to say?

I guess the question is how far behind their "direct feed" is from the actual action.

Flagrant1
    Flagrant1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Main games? What are you trying to say?

I guess the question is how far behind their "direct feed" is from the actual action.
    It took about 15 seconds for live betting odds to update and get adjusted from the time something major happened in an mlb game I was at a couple of years ago.

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

TV pictures across the rest of the world are much faster than the US TV pictures as there is a built in delay on live events in the US - you can thank Janet Jackson for that one.

It varies sport by sport and depending on which providers are being used, and the various companies have a few different ways they do things, either using direct video feeds or sending scouts to games - basically they pay someone to sit in the crowd with a tablet or phone and make updates on the game status such as when there is a goal or anything else what could affect the prices.

Also pre-HD days you could get a faster feed if you didnt mind watching a lower quality stream. MLB.TV was great for that 10+ years ago as they had a slider you could adjust to lower the quality, most likely for lower bandwidth customers, but the lower quality the faster the pictures were, and used to vary from 7-12 seconds faster that TV pictures at the time, which was great for in-play wagering!

MikeyPicks1
    MikeyPicks1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7687

I've got a friend that worked for a company that paid him to go to games and log plays into an app on his phone. They gave him a tiny window from, let's say, when a goal is scored to when he enters it into the app. No getting up, no taking your eye off the action. And he was working small time soccer markets, so I'd imagine major markets would have a couple people doing the same thing.