clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Back in the day. Fixing games was more prevalent.

These days I'm sure it happens but just not as likely.

There is just too much money in all major sports now.

Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

I know for sure (as do most) the Sacto-Lakers series of about 10 years ago was fixed. Remember Sacto having a 3-1 series lead (I think) when

the "fix" orders came in. My friend had sac in the series. Biggest rip off since I don't know when.

Judge Crater
    Judge Crater's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 509

Way too much money!!

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise1965 View Post
    Back in the day. Fixing games was more prevalent.

These days I'm sure it happens but just not as likely.

There is just too much money in all major sports now.

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 436

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe_Word View Post
    I know for sure (as do most) the Sacto-Lakers series of about 10 years ago was fixed. Remember Sacto having a 3-1 series lead (I think) when

the "fix" orders came in. My friend had sac in the series. Biggest rip off since I don't know when.
    As a Kings fan, this is the one that will always stick out in my mind, specifically Game 6. I don't remember the exact #, but I want to say the Lakers only made 2-3 field goals in the 4th qtr. ALL of their other points came at the FT line. Just a travesty.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Every lose in here (and that means 95% of the clowns who post in here) thinks that every game they lose fixed. Make no mistake. There are games that are either fixed, or "shaved", and 99% of them occur in basketball, because that is the easiest sport to fix games in. It is so easy to miss a free throw or two and change the outcome of a game as far as the spread is concerned, but at the same time not change a thing as far as the won-loss outcome is concerned. If Team A is favored by 19 and wins by 18, is anyone going to think that points were shaved? The fact is that they do this a lot more than people realize. You are dealing with refs who are easily bribed, and black players who get their worthless tails into all kinds of trouble and have to do caca like this to survive.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 848

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Every lose in here (and that means 95% of the clowns who post in here) thinks that every game they lose fixed. Make no mistake. There are games that are either fixed, or "shaved", and 99% of them occur in basketball, because that is the easiest sport to fix games in. It is so easy to miss a free throw or two and change the outcome of a game as far as the spread is concerned, but at the same time not change a thing as far as the won-loss outcome is concerned. If Team A is favored by 19 and wins by 18, is anyone going to think that points were shaved? The fact is that they do this a lot more than people realize. You are dealing with refs who are easily bribed, and black players who get their worthless tails into all kinds of trouble and have to do caca like this to survive.
    Why don’t you stick a garden hose down your gullet and turn the water on full blast moron.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

When handicapping, never forget there are 3 teams on the field or court. Dark Jersey, Light Jersey and Striped Jersey. Home, Away, refs or umps or what have you.

Here, on 3rd and 10, we see how all three play a role in creating the next down. Admittedly this isn't a very professional job by the ref.

Notice he looks over his left shoulder to see he's not past the first down, then when bends over to put the ball down he looks back to make sure he clears the marker.

The refs have been given a lot of wiggle room anymore as well.

Things like the "inadvertant whistle" have given them a bigger role when on the field mistakes occur with the other two teams. Remember, the inadvertant whistle came about when a fumble return for a TD had to be called back.

I'm not interested in a discussion at SBR on this topic, there are too many "know it alls" who think they know how a fixed system would operate and only frame thier beliefs based on their own egotistically protected misconceptions.

That's not a discussion I want to be a part of here, especially when I operate on real information.

So the purpose of this post is to remind posters that when handicapping it's wise to remember that there are three teams on every field or court.

Sports Doc
    Sports Doc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelewis View Post
    Just to liven this section up...Do we think most wagerable sports are fixed? Should or do you approach
    handicapping with this in mind?
    NFL playoffs are scripted by coaches & refs see saints game w No call on pass interfearance

youtube has done of nfl playoff & superbowl fixed evidence BIgger Game Bigger $$$

Sports Doc
    Sports Doc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

I agree College hoops are easy to fix in 1985 St.johns was a Big favorite & lost at Niagra outright
    I was a student at StJ's at the time & told everyone that loss was a fix period
    Niagra is a Vincentian Brother college to StJ's soo they were told to lay down & Some crooked priest got RICH betting Niagra to pay off his attorney fees

So the REDMEN lost 4 games that yr 3 to GT & one to Niagra

that team beat Gtown in maryland cap center Mullin Berry Jaxson & was ranked #1
    they lost the next 3x vs Gtown including final 4 at lex ky Hoyas lost to nova in big upset also

Juggler
    Juggler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Does a bear shit in the woods? LOL

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Yes, another classic experiment in cognitive bias. Thousands of ho-hum results where nothing is fixed, most things go as expected (and no one says anything as there is "no story"), then here come the tight games where the spread is close are all that people remember or talk about. Pretty silly, but that's how the human mind works. It's also why propaganda is so effective --- what's going on right now is a perfect example.

Ever wonder why people talk about when the market gets the spread "right on" and it's "amazing" but when a -4 spread results in a 30 point blowout no one talks about how great "Vegas" is? Same thing.

I'm not surprised anymore at how few people engage in critical thinking, especially after the coronavirus madness.
    Yeah and how about when a -1000 NBA fav loses by 20 points? Vegas isn't some prophet. The line is close to fair in the long term but anything can happen in individual games.

First 12