TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

-For a middle to be profitable, it needs to land on the number 5% of the time. In the NFL, there are only four numbers that exceed that, 3, 6, 7, and 10. Four and 14 are close.
    -Getting 1.5 or 2 points can sometimes add up to 5%, but not always. In the NFL, it's especially true if one of those six numbers listed above isn't included.
    -There are only 256 games, there will be very few opportunities where a bettor will be able to find both 5.5 and 6.5 at the same time -- and most of those opportunities will be gone once the first person hits it for a max bet.
    -Concept can be applied to any sport with a point spread, with thousands of NCAA games in football and basketball, it becomes a bit easier to find
    -Still must always be able to know the probability that the middle hits. Can't do that, most likely losing bets. Can do it, they are winning bets.
    -Sort of like saying, just find companies that are undervalued and by stock in them, not always the easiest thing to do
    -Holzhauer would agree with everything I just said.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18971

Quote Originally Posted by TommieGunshot View Post
    -For a middle to be profitable, it needs to land on the number 5% of the time...
    Middles don't require a universal 5% probability to be successful. Betting a middle is effectively betting a long-shot at favourable odds. A 4% probability will be profitable to bet long term provided you getting more than the break-even base of +2400. A 5% probability will be break-even at +1900. Above that it is should be profitable and below that it would be unprofitable.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    The 1st example of +110; -105 is an arb not a middle. It could be a +/- typo so no harm no foul. I would doubt there's a middle at -110; -105 with a push rather than a win. I don't follow the NBA so I don't have any insight as to the probability of a specific points differential outcome. The SBR half point calculator suggests the probability of a 6 point win is 4.16%, and based on that the true odds break even point, (including winning both bets on the middle) would be +6½ @-108.7; -5½ @-108.7. The odds would rarely be exactly in the centre so there could be -109 on 1 side and -105 on the other, (14 spots). As a rough guide the NBA line differential at 6 based on -108.7 is 17.4 spots. Where the market is below 17.4 spots then over the long term you should be in +ev territory. That is of course if the SBR half point probability is correct, which is a big if. The problems with long losing streaks betting at +2304 on what might be a +2100 probability is also well known.
    The middle can be positive or negative. As long as there's a chance to win both bets, this is called middle. It can be Warriors -3½ -105 Raptors +4 -101. It doesn't matter. It's an arb too but called Negative arb.

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    Middles don't require a universal 5% probability to be successful. Betting a middle is effectively betting a long-shot at favourable odds. A 4% probability will be profitable to bet long term provided you getting more than the break-even base of +2400. A 5% probability will be break-even at +1900. Above that it is should be profitable and below that it would be unprofitable.
    Holzhaur lives and bets in Las Vegas, the standard here is -110. If it was at reduced priced, it should have been mentioned in the original article, as that is extremely important and would make the issue a lot more than just "Playing middles". I was able to bet -105 last year at low limits. That's gone now. If Jeopardy Jamie is betting those prices, it means the real edge is finding odds no one else knows about

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

I didn't waste my time on much of this. But I'll add my two cents:

*Holzhauer has in fact talked middling being part of his game. Reality is that live two-way middles don't show up in current market-place. Lines move too fast.

-9.5 and +10.5 just doesn't show too often. And if it does, it doesn't last long.

Expanding on this topic would be a better approach. Holzhauer has talked about hedging vs his future exposure. James claimed to have good success on future betting. If he stood to make a BIG score, he would slowly hedge off to guarantee a solid profit. Reasonable, but remember that each hedge has a price.

More interesting is the concept of BTCL value. Most players consider BTCL value to be the beginning + the end. Hard to carve out a profit if your average ticket doesn't have an edge vs the closing line.

First 12