Alfa1234
    Alfa1234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2544

Quote Originally Posted by Gaze73 View Post
    Let's say I bet on 500 dogs priced +400 and 28% of them win for a 40% roi. Say what you want, but when I bet on the 501st dog I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he has a 28% chance to win. Sure, maybe it's 15% and maybe it's 40% but who cares about one individual event?

I fully agree with the second paragraph, bookies don't pay based on CLV.

Btw here's some doggos I like today:
    Juventus - Lazio Draw +383 (30%)
    Napoli - Milan Draw +308 (35%)
    Sporting ML +390 (35%)
    If this is based upon nothing but "I like these" without an exact calculation about their win probability and which odd you should take to have a +EV, you are doomed long term. Not saying you can't have a nice 10% ROI your first few hundred picks, but it will become increasingly more unlikely the longer you go on.

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

I put the rough % in the brackets, the edge is big enough. Home favs are for squares.

tsty
    tsty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4345

yet we are here and you have deposited for the 100th time and have a bankroll of 100

also u21 books might not pay you out for CLV but every single book will ban you for steam chasing

now that is a guarantee

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Let's say I bet on 500 dogs priced +400 and 28% of them win for a 40% roi. Say what you want, but when I bet on the 501st dog I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he has a 28% chance to win.
    Not remotely enough of a sample size.

Football markets are very, very sharp. You haven't got the faintest hope of beating them long-term.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

if you are betting 3 to 4% of your bankroll on +300 +400 dogs you are going to go broke even if you are superman skilled. You have to adjust your bankroll based on the implied win probability, that is why I hate the 1% idea.
    you should be betting X.XX to win 1% of BR on faves and .XX to win 1% of BR on dogs, this minimizes your long term exposure and will keep you in the game longer with or without an edge. This staking method simply lets you have more money on things more likely to happen.

Alfa1234

I put the rough % in the brackets, the edge is big enough. Home favs are for squares.
    I'm sorry to say, but if you think your "rough win percentage" is anywhere near correct in those huge markets...you are quite delusional. Not trying to bring you down, but coming back to earth would be good for your finances. Do you honestly believe you can calculate those % more correct than a betting market that bets literally millions on those games? There is no such thing as a 10% edge in those markets.

Gaze73

Quote Originally Posted by tsty View Post
    yet we are here and you have deposited for the 100th time and have a bankroll of 100

also u21 books might not pay you out for CLV but every single book will ban you for steam chasing

now that is a guarantee
    100th time? I just made the first deposit this year. I didn't steam chase, I liked the team even before the steam, I just didn't have time to cap it earlier. Still, the thing about pinnacle is that they don't ban anyone. And according to your master theories my play on Tecnico was around -5% long term because the market is efficient, lol.

Gaze73

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa1234 View Post
    There is no such thing as a 10% edge in those markets.
    Wrong. I know many people who are absolutely crushing it with zero losing months and I'm pretty sure I became one of them. The betting market is like a 50k piece puzzle and I already have 35k pieces in place.

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    One more time. The discussion above is based on the faulty assumption that your non-random wager selections will perform at the aggregates 50/50 rate which may or may not be true. You cannot use a 50/50 simulator if your selections do not perform that way. GIGO garbage info in, garbage info out. Each individual event is not 50/50 even though the aggregate has a 50/50 rate.
    I make many wagers where I wait for the line to go up (a better price) but according to the BTCL theory I could never have value in that wager because I can't BTCL in that scenario which is of course false.
    I honestly don't know what else to write. The statistical inference that an individual event will perform exactly as the aggregate is just absolutely statistically incorrect. There is no way to prove this other than with results.
    If you can be profitable trying to BTCL, congratulations, but it is not necessary. I am not aware of any book that pays based on CLV therefore wins and losses matter very much. I was going to elaborate on this but I would probably be wasting my time.
    i honestly wish the best of luck to all but please be aware that there is more than one way to go about being profitable and there are no "have to do's" other than making selections that collect more on your winners than you lose on your losers.
    Joe.
    Joe I make this simple argument lets say you selected every game last season at the closing line example below
    NFL bet at closing
    ATS: 128-120-13 (0.37, 51.6%)
    LOSING SEASON
    NFL adjusted beating the line by .5 point

141-120 54% win
    BIG WINNING SEASON

NCAAF
    ATS: 423-357-33 (0.43, 54.2%)
    56% win% with half point
    BOTH ARE WINNING SEASONS
    NCAABB

LOSING SEASON
    ATS: 1719-1622-71 (0.36, 51.5%)
    52.4% half point
    WINNING SEASON

this simply shows you that it is a true winning method to long term success by beating the line by a half point
    Combined
    2142-1979-117 betting at closing line 51.9% win percentage

2259-1979 53.3% Win% if you can beat the line by a half point

assuming -110 you need 52.3% to break even
    so even to me and I am very slow and have a hard time seeing things this shows me clearly I would rather beat the line by a measly half point and of course if possible pay less vig!
    so to win long term you need to beat the line by a half point or pay less juice, both methods are winners, can you pay less juice?

Alfa1234

Wrong. I know many people who are absolutely crushing it with zero losing months and I'm pretty sure I became one of them. The betting market is like a 50k piece puzzle and I already have 35k pieces in place.
    It's nice to dream, but those people are messing with you. Just don't get your hopes up too much.

Gaze73

It's nice to dream, but those people are messing with you. Just don't get your hopes up too much.
    Is this guy lucky? It's almost as if 10% roi is actually realistic to achieve.

Alfa1234

No, he's not lucky. Now show me the markets and bookies he used.

danshan11

its not "impossible" but it is very hard to find, I have made on my sbr thread 120ish picks and have one where the value was over 10%ROI, 1 out 125 and that 1 is probably just lucky or a guy like ROnaldo got scratched late or BRady got caught with a flat ball before kickoff.

danshan11

forget about gaze he is a lost cause, he got lucky at 2 +300 soccer games and now has solved the entire betting world and in 6 months pinnacle will be called Gaze. He is a true lost cause. I guess as long as there are Gazes out there, the fake touts will keep raking in the cash!

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    Joe I make this simple argument lets say you selected every game last season at the closing line example below ...
    Danshan, This analysis replicates the same statistical inference error of the 50/50 discussion. If you could get a half point on each and every game then maybe you would have an edge and be profitable dependent on how much vig you paid. If you cannot get a half-point on each and every game, we would be back to one trying to get a half-point on a non-random selection of games. Sometimes you might, other times you might not and maybe actually be on the wrong side of the move. In addition, even when you get the half-point, there is only a small chance that it will come into play.

You cannot apply the results of the aggregate to an individual event.

Joe.

danshan11

if you are using a measuring stick for 1 game you will believe a ton of crazy things. We usually dont get a half point on every game. The moral of this story was to try and show you that beating the line by more than margin is how you can win, nothing else.

you cant see that you would have won if you had the half point? there is no debate about it, if you got the half point you would have won.

this sentence, I dont even know what this means sorry
    "This analysis replicates the same statistical inference error of the 50/50 discussion" can you say that in dummy terms, so I can understand, maybe give me an example like I did?? thanks for the replies!

danshan11

betting for most is the silver spoon argument
    that you can buy a silver spoon for a nickel and sell it for a dime and make a nickel profit
    yes it makes sense but as soon as you add in costs, loss, returns, marketing and blah blah that profit is gone. Betting is similar
    I know football I can pick winners, I believe you and unfortunately 99.99% of that info is already in the line
    I can manage a bankroll, well it can take upward of 1000s of games to even get to your edge IF AND A BIG IF you actually have one.
    I have the best model ever, well shit changes and models disappear faster than they do from Charlie Sheens house after they read the HIV announcement on TMZ.

winning is impossible for 99% and for the other 1% they must deal with
    bankroll, neg streaks, variance, books closing or limiting action, theft from shady books, models dying, lost hours of time and money, lost edge and more.
    this shit is not easy and 99% of the people that make money in this game dont bet at all or only do it recreationally.

Alfa1234

Danshan, This analysis replicates the same statistical inference error of the 50/50 discussion. If you could get a half point on each and every game then maybe you would have an edge and be profitable dependent on how much vig you paid. If you cannot get a half-point on each and every game, we would be back to one trying to get a half-point on a non-random selection of games. Sometimes you might, other times you might not and maybe actually be on the wrong side of the move. In addition, even when you get the half-point, there is only a small chance that it will come into play.

You cannot apply the results of the aggregate to an individual event.

Joe.
    You are not talking about the closing line here. Math says if you beat the closing line by half a point, you will win long term. You cannot "beat" a non-closing line that way obviously as the market can move in any direction. If you were to beat the line by half a point the day before the game, you could argue you have half a point "headstart" on the market move and statistically would probably beat the closing line by half a point on average as well, but the results would have more variance.

danshan11

what is a non closing line?

Alfa1234

what is a non closing line?
    Hehehe, I just meant any line that isn't the closing line, so everything that comes before that line (say the line 5 hours before kickoff).

u21c3f6

You are not talking about the closing line here. Math says if you beat the closing line by half a point, you will win long term. You cannot "beat" a non-closing line that way obviously as the market can move in any direction. If you were to beat the line by half a point the day before the game, you could argue you have half a point "headstart" on the market move and statistically would probably beat the closing line by half a point on average as well, but the results would have more variance.
    This is where we differ. Getting a half-point on a non-random selection does not necessarily mean that you have an edge on that game. You may have an edge but only if your overall results for your non-random selections are profitable. You may think that my edge is fake if I don't beat the closer or get the extra half-point but my results say otherwise meaning that even if you beat the closer and/or got an extra half-point on the other side of my wagers you would not be profitable on those wagers even though theoretically you had the advantage.

The point is, we can both be profitable using different methods. We just can't be on opposite sides of events a significant amount of the time.

Joe.

Alfa1234

This is where we differ. Getting a half-point on a non-random selection does not necessarily mean that you have an edge on that game. You may have an edge but only if your overall results for your non-random selections are profitable. You may think that my edge is fake if I don't beat the closer or get the extra half-point but my results say otherwise meaning that even if you beat the closer and/or got an extra half-point on the other side of my wagers you would not be profitable on those wagers even though theoretically you had the advantage.

The point is, we can both be profitable using different methods. We just can't be on opposite sides of events a significant amount of the time.

Joe.
    So what you're saying is, you've found a way to filter the non-efficient closing lines and have found value in those specific closing lines? How large is your sample size?

Also, please remember I'm talking about a very large sample size in my posts above. If you were to bet on 10k+ games and beat the closing line by half a point on average you would be making money. That can still mean you were 10 points off on half the games. It doesn't matter though if you beat the other 50% of the closing lines by 11 points.
    Last edited by Alfa1234; 08-25-18 at 06:00 PM.

danshan11

what you dont understand is what a half point means
    if the line is +10 -110 it would be +10.5 -120 or so which obviously changes the implied win probabliity

u21c3f6

So what you're saying is, you've found a way to filter the non-efficient closing lines and have found value in those specific closing lines? How large is your sample size?
    First, to clarify, I don't only wager on closing lines, I also sometimes wager on lines nearer to the opening and sometimes I even beat the closer but that is not my focus. And no, I don't beat the closer often enough or by enough of a spread to account for my profitability. Whether or not I wager nearer the opening or the close is determined by the criteria that determined the event selection.

Second, as to sample size, I really do not want to discuss my personal figures other than to say that I have been doing this successfully for over 40 years and my results are well beyond 3 sd's. I have only had 1 losing year and that was my very first year. I actually started out wagering on horses and it was that experience where I learned the concepts and methods that I have used to make money on various endeavors including horses, jai alai, greyhounds, hedging, live wagering and sports wagering (taxes paid as necessary for any of you IRS agents out there).

To continue, it does not matter whether you (group you not you personally) believe me or not. But you know whether or not you are profitable (unless you are fooling yourself). If you are profitable, great, continue what you are doing. Nothing I write should interfere with that. But if you are not profitable, then you have to or at least should question what you are doing and/or whether or not what you believe is true or not.

I am not really a gambler, I was attracted to wagering more for the puzzle of it, not because I was a sporting nut. I needed to "solve" the puzzle. I will not discuss specific criteria but when I have some time I will write about how I started and how the light bulb moment came for me.

As a starter , there was a post that reminded me of how I started that asked essentially what happens to your wager if Judge and Stanton are scratched. I know I can Google it but I won't and didn't. I have heard the name of Judge, I think I heard that he is a home run hitter but I had no clue who Stanton is and I have no clue what positions these two play or for that matter I can't even remember what team the post mentioned (Yankees?). To relate that to my story from the mid 70's, another horse player asked me who I wagered on and I told him and then he asked me who was riding the horse and I told him I didn't know and of course he told me that I couldn't bet on a horse if I didn't know who was riding him! Of course that is not true and part of my story if and when I get around to posting it.

Again, good luck to all regardless of what method(s) you use.

Joe.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: dpark80

danshan11

first thing is margins and methods used 40 years ago are not USUALLY relevant now with the invention of the internet and overseas books.
    second thing is I dont doubt anyone's success, I have used a coin flip simulator for 1000s of 1000s of tries and have seen a ton of different results, so now doubt (not saying you) but even someone without a clue and throwing darts to pick could be a long term winner, for arguments sake Warren Buffet could just be lucky.
    third thing you are one of many people who tell me I just win and I say to them prove it, I proved to you how you could win by beating the line but you cant prove to me how you can win by not beating the closing line.
    I think it is very poor judgement to let guys like Gaze think the line means nothing just pick winners and you will win or how a guy winning this season is worth tailing or paying to get his picks. if you run a simple simulator you will see very quickly that 1000 flips can show you very quickly how heads is better than tails or how horrible an idea heads is. this can happen over and over. You might be the 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000 people that is smarter than the entire efficient market and betting community and can win long term like that but for the rest of us its best to make sure you are beating the line.
    if you bet the Yankees -150 and they close -150 , what does that say about your bet to you?

danshan11

If I bet -150 and it closes -150, it tells me shit I had no edge and I am going to lose the juice.
    if I bet -150 and it closes -130 , it tells me I was wrong and took a bad number and will lose juice plus something
    if I bet -150 and it closes -180, it tells me I was right and took a value number and I will win by the net edge on that
    this is me saying this on each bet but in reality none of these is true until you are 1000s or 10000s of bets in, variance can show up anytime, at the beginning the middle or the end or a couple times in between.

Gaze73

If I bet -150 it's because my model shows it's good value with a 65+% chance to win. Just like there are trap favs there are also trap dogs who make you think they have a good chance but they're terrible value.

Alfa1234

First, to clarify, I don't only wager on closing lines, I also sometimes wager on lines nearer to the opening and sometimes I even beat the closer but that is not my focus. And no, I don't beat the closer often enough or by enough of a spread to account for my profitability. Whether or not I wager nearer the opening or the close is determined by the criteria that determined the event selection.

Second, as to sample size, I really do not want to discuss my personal figures other than to say that I have been doing this successfully for over 40 years and my results are well beyond 3 sd's. I have only had 1 losing year and that was my very first year. I actually started out wagering on horses and it was that experience where I learned the concepts and methods that I have used to make money on various endeavors including horses, jai alai, greyhounds, hedging, live wagering and sports wagering (taxes paid as necessary for any of you IRS agents out there).

To continue, it does not matter whether you (group you not you personally) believe me or not. But you know whether or not you are profitable (unless you are fooling yourself). If you are profitable, great, continue what you are doing. Nothing I write should interfere with that. But if you are not profitable, then you have to or at least should question what you are doing and/or whether or not what you believe is true or not.

I am not really a gambler, I was attracted to wagering more for the puzzle of it, not because I was a sporting nut. I needed to "solve" the puzzle. I will not discuss specific criteria but when I have some time I will write about how I started and how the light bulb moment came for me.

As a starter , there was a post that reminded me of how I started that asked essentially what happens to your wager if Judge and Stanton are scratched. I know I can Google it but I won't and didn't. I have heard the name of Judge, I think I heard that he is a home run hitter but I had no clue who Stanton is and I have no clue what positions these two play or for that matter I can't even remember what team the post mentioned (Yankees?). To relate that to my story from the mid 70's, another horse player asked me who I wagered on and I told him and then he asked me who was riding the horse and I told him I didn't know and of course he told me that I couldn't bet on a horse if I didn't know who was riding him! Of course that is not true and part of my story if and when I get around to posting it.

Again, good luck to all regardless of what method(s) you use.

Joe.
    This is extremely interesting to me because I have always taken it as a given that not beating the closing line cannot possibly be profitable over the long term. My own fairly large sample size is a clear example of this and I've never before spoken to anyone serious that says otherwise.

A few remarks that spring to mind. The closing line efficiency is something that's only been happening in the last say decade or so. The weight of money, exchanges etc just didn't come into play that much before so could it be you have actually BEEN beating the closing line in the last decade but you have not checked this? Also, I'm inclined to believe that if you are talking about horse racing/greyhound racing that closing lines may be off a bit sometimes. Those markets are completely different as opposed to other sports like say soccer and I have observed some "bandwagon" behaviour that is fairly easily influenced by a limited number of bloggers and influencers, often with the intent to shorten 1 price for trading purposes (and that can completely mess up a market).
    Last edited by Alfa1234; 08-26-18 at 04:19 AM.

Alfa1234

If I bet -150 it's because my model shows it's good value with a 65+% chance to win. Just like there are trap favs there are also trap dogs who make you think they have a good chance but they're terrible value.
    The problem with that reasoning is, if you are time and time again not beating the closing line, you model is actually off. You could easily be profitable for 1k+ bets though. Again, I'm talking about a large sample size.

Gaze73

The problem with that reasoning is, if you are time and time again not beating the closing line, you model is actually off. You could easily be profitable for 1k+ bets though. Again, I'm talking about a large sample size.
    From my vast experience in horse racing I can easily conclude that the market is dumb as rocks. Yes, 1000 horses running at even odds will win at 50% and horses running at 4/1 will win ~19%, but a pro doesn't bet on every single race, he picks 5 horses out of 200 that run in a day, and he can pick them at "Betfair starting price" with supreme confidence that the pick will be profitable no matter the starting price, because he knows that the market hasn't caught up to his models on those 5 horses. I applied the very same principles on soccer and it's exactly the same. In short, some favs are overrated and some dogs are ridiculously underrated at the closing price due to the basic psychology of the masses. That's where I come in and hoover up the coins.

danshan11

if your model shows it at a 65% chance of winning and this is consistently happening your model needs work.

danshan11

From my vast experience in horse racing I can easily conclude that the market is dumb as rocks. Yes, 1000 horses running at even odds will win at 50% and horses running at 4/1 will win ~19%, but a pro doesn't bet on every single race, he picks 5 horses out of 200 that run in a day, and he can pick them at "Betfair starting price" with supreme confidence that the pick will be profitable no matter the starting price, because he knows that the market hasn't caught up to his models on those 5 horses. I applied the very same principles on soccer and it's exactly the same. In short, some favs are overrated and some dogs are ridiculously underrated at the closing price due to the basic psychology of the masses. That's where I come in and hoover up the coins.
    this believe here is exactly how the market works.
    people dont know anything about value or why a line is what it is and they bet on which team has nice shoes
    people dont care about juice because they are just picking winners and it does not matter if you have to bet 150 or 180 you will win anyway
    people dont understand that 99.99% of factors that create a line are the same things you are using to say they are gonna "cover"
    people think they have an edge and dont have one at all, I was in Vegas at a craps table(i love craps, cant help it) and a guy was getting pissed he was losing, he had 2 funny beliefs
    #1 he thought he had an edge by betting the 6 8 and a hard 10 when he rolled a 10
    #2 he thought he was having bad luck not that the house had a built in advantage
    guy said he had been to Vegas a 1000 times and I believe him, he knew everything about everything but did not know shit about odds, variance, true edge and sample size.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

1-5% positive return on turnover over 1,000+ bets

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    1-5% positive return on turnover over 1,000+ bets
    you are talking about the one out of 10000 guys right?

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

you are talking about the one out of 10000 guys right?
    How can you be sharp if there's no longevity? It's just luck until then.

First 1234567 ... Last