Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Can I profit long term picking 40% winners?

Guys,

I think I am like most handicappers in that I pick more losers than I do winners.

How can I make a long term profit while limiting risk? Using 2-5% of BR will slowly bleed me to death and Martingale system will bust me after 5 or 6 plays.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

If you are picking ATS @ 40%, the reverse side of those picks would be an elite 60% hit rate.

You could really be closer to 50% than you think?

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16534

Make sure the odds are at least +200

vicshap
    vicshap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3445

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peepers View Post
    I think I am like most handicappers in that I pick more losers than I do winners.
    go Against your one best play of the day, RISKING 5% of your bankroll each day. one play only, each day. hope to go 4-3 each week on average, 57+ percent. no one can do better long-term.
    How can I make a long term profit while limiting risk? Using 2-5% of BR will slowly bleed me to death and Martingale system will bust me after 5 or 6 plays.

Thank you in advance!
    go Against your best play of the day, Risking 5% of your bankroll. 1 play only each day. hope to go 4-3 each week on average, 57+ percent. no one can do better long-term.

Mr. Peepers

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    If you are picking ATS @ 40%, the reverse side of those picks would be an elite 60% hit rate.

You could really be closer to 50% than you think?
    40% was more hypothetical then actual. The end result will be the same for someone that wins 40% or roughly 52% considering the juice and betting 5% of your bankroll.

I think fading one's own picks is tougher than one would think . Talk about a mind game!

Mr. Peepers

Quote Originally Posted by vicshap View Post
    go Against your best play of the day, Risking 5% of your bankroll. 1 play only each day. hope to go 4-3 each week on average, 57+ percent. no one can do better long-term.
    Have you had success going against your best play?

vicshap
    vicshap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3445

more often than not, but only about 51.5 percent. it takes discipline, to the point of boredom. i have many more opinions about this topic, if anyone is interested.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

40% was more hypothetical then actual. The end result will be the same for someone that wins 40% or roughly 52% considering the juice and betting 5% of your bankroll.

I think fading one's own picks is tougher than one would think . Talk about a mind game!
    I agree.

Like the experiment that is affected by observation in science, you just can't fade yourself. I was more suggesting you probably weren't good (bad?) enough to hit 40% or 60% ATS in reality, it just probably feels that way.
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave Optional 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Lenny Zefflin
    Lenny Zefflin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

ATS? Then no, obviously you can't win long-term at at a 40% clip. If I consistently hit 40% every year (which would be as rare as hitting 60) I would probably just do ten game parlays hoping my 40% could have better luck clustering up in streaks and hitting a big payday enough to keep me going. But I don't know. Sounds like 40 is just a bad run and you'll do better.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24625

Peepers, a few thoughts. Gonna echo the posts above:

1) How MANY plays produced the 40% stat? Hard to believe that you'll hit 40% (vs -110 lines) over hundreds of plays.

2) If that is the case, write down your REASONING for said plays.

3) If u find that 40% is your baseline...then you're on your way. Continue that logic and when it gets time to put in your bet...bet opposite. You may find that Contrarian logic is the way to go.

dbartinbwgc
    dbartinbwgc's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21539

In theory using Labby lines you could profit with above 33% win rate in the long run.

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

No you don't. You just get paid less than even money.

tsty
    tsty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4345

Quote Originally Posted by HUY View Post
    No you don't. You just get paid less than even money.
    Exactly. If we are talking in terms of closing lines in major markets then most people will be picking 50% or very close to it.

It's basically impossible to be hitting 40% on NBA closing lines etc

tsty
    tsty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4345

Guys,

Thank you in advance!
    this honestly seems like a troll post to me but after reading so many posts on this forum I just don't know

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

hitting 40% is irrelevant if you have an edge, do you have an edge? if you dont have an edge, 40% 45% 51% it dont matter it is just a matter of time till you are broke or you add more money to your BR