Sircool1
    Sircool1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 560

Basketball Steals v Turnovers

Are Steals included in the Turnovers stats for Basketball?

Thanks

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Do you mean is a turnover counted towards the player who had the ball stolen from him?

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

In basketball, a turnover occurs when a team loses possession of the ball to the opposing team before a player takes a shot at his team's basket. This can result from the ball being stolen, the player making mistakes such as stepping out of bounds, illegal screen, a double dribble, having a pass intercepted, throwing the ball out of bounds, three-second violation, five-second violation, or committing an error such as traveling, a shot clock violation, palming, a backcourt violation, or committing an offensive foul. A technical foul against a team that is in possession of the ball is a blatant example of a turnover, because the opponent is awarded a free throw in addition to possession of the ball.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

EDIT: ok, as i see above it doesn't seem like every turnover is a steal. i.e. the stepping out of bounds.

not exactly sure what you are asking... but here goes..

a steal by defense is a turnover by offense i believe in every single case i can think of (i may be wrong though)...

if you are looking at how many turnovers a team had, they wouldn't get credit for each steal... if you did turnovers minus steals, that would be net turnovers i believe

just for interest, blocks are not turnovers as you shot the ball and you might get the ball back from the block. and then that would show up as either offensive or defensive rebound.

i try to always drill down on which team won and by how much............ first two things i look at are turnovers and offensive rebounds. that should give you an idea on number of relative possessions.. then i look at 3 point % and 2 point %.. also ft% but often that doesn't vary that much.

occasionally the math is very hard to reconcile.... someone explained things like illegal defense, technicals etc... not completely sure how these things absolutely reconcile and there are other minor nitty things i didn't mention.