burrissa
    burrissa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Anyone willing to teach SDQL to excel queries for dummies?

Any experts willing to teach us how to set up an excel spreadsheet so that we can run several saved SDQL queries through excel at the push of a button? I'm not asking for your personal spreadsheets or queries, just the basic setup to get excel to run queries. I saw one post on here by Stevenash on how to get queries running using VB. I'm not that strong on VB but know how to record macros. I'm sure several members would be interested. Show us how to fish instead of giving us a fish. Thanks to everyone who's willing to help us entry level students.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

What exactly does this mean?

I don't use SDQL, or believe that it is useful, so I don't know what the data looks like. If it is something like find all rows that meet certain criteria, easy to write VBA to get to that. Is there somewhere where you can copy and paste example data?

If all you are looking for is something to give values based on if cells meet criteria, you might be able to avoid VBA and just write if(and formulas.
    Last edited by Waterstpub87; 07-19-17 at 03:05 PM.

burrissa

I'm wanting to store my queries on the spreadsheet, hit a refresh button and have all the queries ran at once and the data updated on the spreadsheet. I can then manipulate the data in the order I want and make comparison's.

Here's a query:

http://sportsdatabase.com/mlb/query?...+S+D+Q+L+%21++

I tried running it from the data tab and then from web. I entered the link and the web page comes up and shows the query results but will not allow me to import. I get an error message that says "unable to open, cannot download the information you requested".

Am I totally off base with this?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Excel doesn't like something about this site, might be the ... in the webaddess.

If it liked it, you could script something to by going to a certain webaddress and pulling the data. It might get tricky but it is doable.

If you could get the data that is underlying these calculations, you could copy paste that into excel, and not have to mess with downloading it. It looks like some of that data is saved in the "Tables" section of the website.

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

Hi. I'm no "expert", but I am very comfortable with the syntax of the query language. Do you have any specific questions?

LtDementia
    LtDementia's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2075

Ok - I'll jump in but I'm using an old excel 2003 so your mileage may vary.

On the main menu I follow the menu item(s) 'Data|Import External Data|New Web Query'. This gets to an input window with a place for the sportsdatabase url and the resulting content. Copy the url into to requested url field and press 'go'. The result of the query will populate the contents area of the window. Use the checkboxes to select the tables of interest and press 'Import'. There might be one more one more popup but its self explanatory. Your worksheet will now be populated with the results of the query.

By default, the request is saved and can be re-run by right-clicking on the data and selecting 'refresh'

Enjoy-

LT

burrissa

Hi LT,
    Thanks for jumping in. If you read the second half of my post #3 you'll see I tried that but it won't import the data. I have other spreadsheets that are automated in this fashion (same as your instructions)but none are trying to import data from a database query. I'm working nights this weekend so I'll keep trying next week. Thank you for jumping in and responding.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Sportsdatabase.com offers an API to extract the data you need http://www.sportsdatabase.com/api

You can find instructions on that page and a link to a discussion group for help at the bottom.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Also, if you are importing loads of data and doing a lot of recalculations you will quickly find that you need a supercomputer to run Excel fast enough.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Also, if you are importing loads of data and doing a lot of recalculations you will quickly find that you need a supercomputer to run Excel fast enough.
    Depends on how much you to import. I built a scraping program in excel for college football play by play results. Takes around 45 minutes to scrap 150 games or so. I do have a decent, but older, computer.

advantageU
    4 fords and a toyota
    advantageU's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Depends on how much you to import. I built a scraping program in excel for college football play by play results. Takes around 45 minutes to scrap 150 games or so. I do have a decent, but older, computer.
    Is this something you would be willing to share with the forum or with me in private?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by advantageU View Post
    Is this something you would be willing to share with the forum or with me in private?
    Yea, Ok