Alex Hart
    Update your status
    Alex Hart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6432

How Do You Handicap Baseball?

I'm now trying to learn how I can handicap baseball better and would like to know what your routine is. What do you look at and what's important to you when handicapping baseball?

Thanks!

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10542

I look at money line odds. Bet the ML fav of the day. Let the books do the work for you.

So far this month, the ML fav of the day has won everyday. (Watch, after I said this, the bottom will drop out.)

Many ways to cap. Teams don't like to be shut out. Look for a series when the team has lost 2 games.
    Bet the team that lost twice.

One guy in here was betting just about every home team fav and would chase the next 2 games in the series if
    he lost the 1st game. Did pretty well. A lot of games to bet though and chasing can bite the butt.

You can bet both sides of the same game if the odds are right. Risking a lot to win a little.
    Look for minimum -RL odds of +220 and the opposing team ML odds of +220 or above. One run game
    can bite you if the -RL won by one run. It happens, but not often.

Immotive8 is running a revenge thread. Teams that were shut out and in their next meeting with the team
    that shut them out, bet the team that was shut out. If you lose, chase the next 2 games.

I'm running a lost 3 su and ats thread. Betting those teams for 3 games. Hoping for a win during that time.
    Right now at 58%.

GL

lom bylyri
    lom bylyri's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I follow that theory also. If a team has lost two or three straight, especially at home ( same series), i bet the money line of that team. Win more than lose. A large % of teams that win the first leg of a double header, lose the second. Who's pitching's got to be the first thing to look at. Also, something to keep in mind : Historically, only about 30 % of the games end by one run difference. So, if you have a team that you think is due, or after you did your handicapping, it's a better value to go for the - 1 1/2 ...and so on ... BOL.
    P.S. Pounded the Nats last night ( following the day/night double theory) and almost had an heart attack ...

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4508

Come to Vegas and I'll show you, too hard to type it in here

Alex Hart
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    I look at money line odds. Bet the ML fav of the day. Let the books do the work for you.

So far this month, the ML fav of the day has won everyday. (Watch, after I said this, the bottom will drop out.)

Many ways to cap. Teams don't like to be shut out. Look for a series when the team has lost 2 games.

One guy in here was betting just about every home team fav and would chase the next 2 games in the series if
    he lost the 1st game. Did pretty well. A lot of games to bet though and chasing can bite the butt.

You can bet both sides of the same game if the odds are right. Risking a lot to win a little.
    Look for minimum -RL odds of +220 and the opposing team ML odds of +220 or above. One run game

Immotive8 is running a revenge thread. Teams that were shut out and in their next meeting with the team
    that shut them out, bet the team that was shut out. If you lose, chase the next 2 games.

I'm running a lost 3 su and ats thread. Betting those teams for 3 games. Hoping for a win during that time.
    Right now at 58%.

GL
    Interesting about the ML fav winning everyday this month. Looking at 5D it looks like LAA is the ML fav for today at -183. Are you playing them or is that too expensive? I'm still a newb when it comes to sports betting overall so I typically place square bets, especially for baseball so far. I'm much more comfortable capping CFB & NFL.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give advice!

Alex Hart
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lom bylyri View Post
    I follow that theory also. If a team has lost two or three straight, especially at home ( same series), i bet the money line of that team. Win more than lose. A large % of teams that win the first leg of a double header, lose the second. Who's pitching's got to be the first thing to look at. Also, something to keep in mind : Historically, only about 30 % of the games end by one run difference. So, if you have a team that you think is due, or after you did your handicapping, it's a better value to go for the - 1 1/2 ...and so on ... BOL.
    P.S. Pounded the Nats last night ( following the day/night double theory) and almost had an heart attack ...
    I've thought about betting on a team that has lost two or three straight at home in the same series but have yet to do it. I'll give it a try.

Yeah, pitching is always the first thing I look at then I look at injuries to see if any one of importance is missing from the lineup.

Never thought about the double header angle. I'll look into that.

I took the Nats as well last night.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex Hart
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Come to Vegas and I'll show you, too hard to type it in here
    I've always wanted to head out to Vegas and learn from an experienced handicapper. I've never been out there.

Anything you like for tonight?

Thanks for the reply.

rkelly110

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hart View Post
    Interesting about the ML fav winning everyday this month. Looking at 5D it looks like LAA is the ML fav for today at -183. Are you playing them or is that too expensive? I'm still a newb when it comes to sports betting overall so I typically place square bets, especially for baseball so far. I'm much more comfortable capping CFB & NFL.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give advice!
    No problem. My minimum for the fav of the day is -222 (1.45). Been keeping track for years on the fav of the day
    for every sport. MLB is consistently over 65% for the whole year.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

i try to find out howa pitcher does at home compared to away. Than i look at the money line and try to see if some thing looks hokie.

Safehouse
    Safehouse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1092

No problem. My minimum for the fav of the day is -222 (1.45). Been keeping track for years on the fav of the day
    Is MLB the highest % of the sports you track? I might start tracking MLB and see for myself. Have you looked into top 2 or 3 favourites for the day as well?

rkelly110

Quote Originally Posted by Safehouse View Post
    Is MLB the highest % of the sports you track? I might start tracking MLB and see for myself. Have you looked into top 2 or 3 favourites for the day as well?
    No, just about every sport I track is in the 60's and only track the fav. The only sport that is inconsistent is the NFL and this year, NBA.

Some sports from last year: NCAAB 110-45 71% NCAAF 20-9 69% NFL 21-15 58% MLB Apr-Sept 124-62 67%
    NHL this season 115-59 66% NBA this season 90-67 57% (these numbers don't include playoffs)

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

...My minimum for the fav of the day is -222 (1.45). Been keeping track for years on the fav of the day
    This means there are only bets of -222 or higher triggered?

No, just about every sport I track is in the 60's and only track the fav. The only sport that is inconsistent is the NFL and this year, NBA.

Some sports from last year: NCAAB 110-45 71% NCAAF 20-9 69% NFL 21-15 58% MLB Apr-Sept 124-62 67%
    NHL this season 115-59 66% NBA this season 90-67 57% (these numbers don't include playoffs)
    At -222, a bettor needs to hit about 69% of the bets to break even. If that price is a minimum, you’re breakeven is much higher than the percentages above.

This seems to be a losing proposition, or am I missing something?

Keep an eye on break even points when betting moneylines, win percentages are near meaningless.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post

At -222, a bettor needs to hit about 69% of the bets to break even. If that price is a minimum, you’re breakeven is much higher than the percentages above.

Keep an eye on break even points when betting moneylines, win percentages are near meaningless.

From talking to RKelly before, I think he uses the word minimum, whereas many would use the word maximum in this case, in that the most he will lay is -222, IE the largest favorite being less than -222. This would make more sense about getting excited about hitting 65%. I could be mistaken though.

rkelly110

The man wanted to know how others made their wagers. I gave him quite a few of my examples.
    Yes, if you straight bet the fav of the day, you could lose some money. Trick is to increase your wagers after a loss.
    Not recoup losses, just gradually increase your basic wager. Wins can come at a fierce pace. IE: this month,
    15 straight days w/o a loss. Who in their right mind wouldn't be hooping and hollering about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post

From talking to RKelly before, I think he uses the word minimum, whereas many would use the word maximum in this case, in that the most he will lay is -222, IE the largest favorite being less than -222. This would make more sense about getting excited about hitting 65%. I could be mistaken though.
    Exactly. I use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. You can't get anymore simple than just looking at the fav
    of the day, making your wager and cashing. No handicapping. Believe me, I've done that. Hours and hours of it.
    Paperwork to the ceiling.

Those like KVB who don't want to do that, can use that as a trigger and bet the -RL for + money. You can probably
    make money with a 34% win rate. (chasing)

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah, the first part of my post was trying to clarify just what "minimum" meant. I had a feeling it hinged on that.

The posts do make a bit more sense if it's the highest price paid, not the lowest.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

...Exactly. I use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. You can't get anymore simple than just looking at the fav
    of the day, making your wager and cashing. No handicapping. Believe me, I've done that. Hours and hours of it.
    Paperwork to the ceiling.

Those like KVB who don't want to do that, can use that as a trigger and bet the -RL for + money. You can probably
    make money with a 34% win rate. (chasing)
    Oh boy.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hart View Post
    I'm now trying to learn how I can handicap baseball better and would like to know what your routine is. What do you look at and what's important to you when handicapping baseball?

Thanks!
    Just throw a dart at a map on the wall. Closest city it hits... pick that team.

Forearm Shiver
    Forearm Shiver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

90% of the public only looks at the starting pitchers. And many go into pain staking detail. But a good 33% of baseball doesn't include starting pitchers.

If you find yourself doing the same thing as everyone else, it's going to be hard to win. Be different.

Jolly_Rancher
    Jolly_Rancher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Some excellent insight in this thread. rkelly110 has dropped great insight for those willing to stop, listen and process.

Forearm Shiver is spot on too. Trying to do things like everyone else will get you in the same spot they are..giving the books money more than you take.

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5792

baseball MLB is my strongest sport and I usually parlay over/unders...I use daily fantasy sports web sites esp rotogrinders.com for information. They have the best articles including daily pitching breakdowns and info on matchups. The pitching articles and stats are what I really look at esp focus on pitchers with high SIERA stats to bet overs on....Gas can pitchers are goldmines! Last night Min/baltimore perfect example

TheMoneyShot

Even if you factored everything on one game. Wind, weather, lineups, career batting avg vs starting pitcher, career batting avg vs possible relief pitchers, which umpire calling balls/strikes.... wide strike zone... small strike zone... did any player get laid last night? All of this bullsh#$... you just spent at least half an hour on just one game. There are like 15 games a day.

Let's be real here.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Even if you factored everything on one game. Wind, weather, lineups, career batting avg vs starting pitcher, career batting avg vs possible relief pitchers, which umpire calling balls/strikes.... wide strike zone... small strike zone... did any player get laid last night? All of this bullsh#$... you just spent at least half an hour on just one game. There are like 15 games a day.

Let's be real here.

Once you understand how to rate in a predictive way, or the relevant factors needed to beat the market prices and know which ones to activate in which situations, then it's just a matter of duplication and shopping.

There is hard work, but that's more of a creative process, then there's busy work to get it ready to bet.

Computers help, of course, but no one said it was easy.

That's being real.

TheMoneyShot

Once you understand how to rate in a predictive way, or the relevant factors needed to beat the market prices and know which ones to activate in which situations, then it's just a matter of duplication and shopping.

There is hard work, but that's more of a creative process, then there's busy work to get it ready to bet.

Computers help, of course, but no one said it was easy.

That's being real.

KVB... been on this site for many years. A lot of posters have come and gone... Not one poster has ever been + money at the end of the season wagering baseball. So why wager it? Clearly isn't beatable.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Sure we can profit in a given season, I think LT was up over 100 units just a couple of seasons ago.

But sticking with same old methods will catch up to the bettor, as the market catches up.

That's the real hard work, staying ahead of the game.

There are plenty of slow and steady players that will profit from a baseball season. They will experience heavy variance, but will turn a profit.

It's not that it isn't predictable, it's just that so many other factors work against players...like money management and emotions.

rkelly110

KVB... been on this site for many years. A lot of posters have come and gone... Not one poster has ever been + money at the end of the season wagering baseball. So why wager it? Clearly isn't beatable.
    I have, negative nancy. Baseball is the easiest to bet. No other sport plays 3 or 4 game series.

Pick a good team at home and chase if they lose. Money in the bank, money.

TheMoneyShot

I have, negative nancy. Baseball is the easiest to bet. No other sport plays 3 or 4 game series.

Pick a good team at home and chase if they lose. Money in the bank, money.
    Not being negative Nancy... post your plays. I don't believe you. No offense.

littlekona

Overs have been the very profitable play this season esp last few weeks they are a whopping 72-34-2 (68%) over the last eight days!

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

This is totally false, I've beaten it the last two years.

I'm quite sure No Coin and LT have been up, they run long term thread results posts, don't they?

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    Overs have been the very profitable play this season esp last few weeks they are a whopping 72-34-2 (68%) over the last eight days!
    I've noticed this too. Not many dominating pitchers like usual. Lots of runs. I've had a great season so far, and I play probably an equal number of overs and unders this year so far

Tonight I'm Giants Cubs over 7, Twins / O's under 9.5 ... looking good

rkelly110

Not being negative Nancy... post your plays. I don't believe you. No offense.
    I'm in the MLB sub forum.

littlekona

cubs over is gold...I think since they left Colorado all but one game has not went over

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

haha, my only loss of the night, come on, get a few vs Lester (7 was low for this year especially)

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I have a few thoughts and reasons on why, but I can say that this year, so far, the books have been taking larger size positions at a rather high rate compared to past marketplaces.

We've seen it in both moneylines and totals since the beginning of the season. When sharps kicked in after a few weeks of play, the behavior continued.

It will be interesting to see if it continues to continue.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

HOW?

This works best for me....

CLARITY is the key:

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Right now at 58%.

GL
    Rule 1 for you to learn how to handicap MLB....Ignore this whole post
    You'll be in good shape already

12 Last