Division
    Division's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 927

Bankroll Management - My Approach

I'm curious what bankroll management / staking plan people use. I have outlined my approach below but am interested to hear from other bettors how they approach bankroll management.

I have a very specific betting style which means greater than 90% of my bets are in a few specific markets and the odds are generally within a tight range.

Given my bankroll = €X

I will bet a fixed percentage of Y%.

When my bankroll increases or decreases by Z% I will recalculate my bet of Y%.

Within the Range of X-Z% or X+Z% all my bets will be for the same stake.

I'll give an example:

(1) Bankroll = €1,000

(2) I bet a fixed percentage of 2% = €20

I will continue to stake €20 on all my bets until my bankroll hits either €910 (-9%) or €1,100 (+10%)

Once I hit either of these thresholds I will bet 2% of that amount until my bankroll either increases by 10% or decreases by 9% and so on.

The larger your bankroll the smaller your stake percentage and win/loss thresholds should be.

How do you approach this?
    Last edited by Division; 10-23-16 at 06:40 AM.

CamNewtonOutfit
    CamNewtonOutfit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 908

same sort of thing but i use a much larger amount of risk of course not 100% but something a lot higher than 2% until the liquidity in the markets dries up, good thing for ES futures it trades 100 billion a day lol.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Not practicing it at the moment, because I am slowly climbing my way out of a rough patch, but I prefer half kelly. Sort of the same concept that you are following, but you include odds and your estimated edge.

Division
    Division's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 927

A half kelly is a very aggressive staking plan. I would not be comfortable risking that amount of my bankroll on an even money shot. The bad run is coming sooner or later to all of us and betting at that level will cause a lot of damage to your bankroll.

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

My opinion, 1.5% is more like it as long as you are playing with an edge.

tklemans
    tklemans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1945

Playing with an edge is infinitely more important than % per play.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by tklemans View Post
    Playing with an edge is infinitely more important than % per play.
    You can have any edge you like, but if you bet >2x Kelly you will lose money longterm. I'd guess most people with an edge fall into that trap.