benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

ROT: Faves early, Dogs late?

Once upon a time I was given this rule of thumb from someone whose betting I respect:

In general, it's better to bet favorites early and dogs late.

Just curious if anyone's run any numbers on this (for any sport).

Thanks.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

no numbers necessary, this is not a system for betting this is a rule of thumb. If you are betting against the public than wait for the line to move in your favor, if you are following the public get your bet in before the line moves against you.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

This USED to work like clockwork, but it isn't 1995 any more. Bettors have gotten more sophisticated in the internet age with more resources available, and while this old adage may still be true more often than not, I think it is a dangerous blanket statement.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Playing openers is ideal imo... I don't always have that luxury though but in a perfect world I'd jump on the earliest line regardless of if I'm playing the favorite or dog.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by roasthawg View Post
    Playing openers is ideal imo... I don't always have that luxury though but in a perfect world I'd jump on the earliest line regardless of if I'm playing the favorite or dog.
    I usually do the same

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

The line is like a woman. Do you want that virgin line or the one thats been manhandled?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Either eager very early or very late. If you can wager when the line first comes out, you open yourself to potential middle plays, which are by far the best plays because of their risk to reward ratio. It matters not if you are playing a favorite or a dog. The earlier you wager, the more chance you have of being able to take corrective action,or to add on to your wager, if this becomes necessary or profitable.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

What LT Profits said. There aren't any strict rules these days, and it's not uncommon to see lines yo-yo. The BCS Championship game yo-yoed a bit, and the Jets/Chargers game moved from +9 or so to +7, then back to +9 a couple days before the game.

The fiddler
    The fiddler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Line drops as often as it rises.