brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Best statistical software for handicapping/modelling

What do you guys recommend in terms of statistical software? I've just downloaded SPSS 17. Is it any good for modelling in sport statistics?

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

SPSS is a nice statistical package, but I don't think it is that good for modeling.

I prefer to manipulate databases in text formats, make smaller data sets, and run regressions on zunzun.com.

brettd

thanks justin.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

interesting will have to check it out

tltaylor89
    FVn=S(1+c)n
    tltaylor89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Never tried zun zun

brettd

Justin (or anyone else for that matter), is there any other software that you would recommended in being an assistance in handicapping/creating a model?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Learn Excel. You can do 95%+ of what one can in a "real" programming language and the error trapping is better.

As yes, you can do regression too.

brettd

I've been looking into this, and have been told that the statistical programming language of 'R' is ideal for modelling. The steep learning curve of its command line input in quite off putting though. However, have you had any experience with RExcel? It uses Excel as a user-friendly front end UI, with excel calling upon R, and then displaying results back in excel.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

I was about to recommend R, brettd. The command line is a benefit, not a hinderance really. I would recommend taking the time to learn it. It allows you to automate your tasks much easier than many other packages. It is also far more efficient than Excel. Effiiciency makes a huge difference when you're dealing with 140+ games on an NCAAB Saturday.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Learn Excel. You can do 95%+ of what one can in a "real" programming language and the error trapping is better.

As yes, you can do regression too.
    Only limited regressions still correct? Like 5 or so variables?

roasthawg

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    SPSS is a nice statistical package, but I don't think it is that good for modeling.

I prefer to manipulate databases in text formats, make smaller data sets, and run regressions on zunzun.com.
    Why smaller data sets... will zunzun not take a lot?

Sinister Cat
    Sinister Cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I use Easyreg. The interface is a little clunky, but's it's overall easy to use, and it's flexible and free.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

R is free too.

roasthawg

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Cat View Post
    I use Easyreg. The interface is a little clunky, but's it's overall easy to use, and it's flexible and free.
    I have a question about this program... I looked at the site and found this:

However, the number of observations is stored in an integer variable, which in Visual Basic 5 is limited to a maximum value of 32767. Consequently, if you try to import a data set with more than 32767 observations you will get an error message, and EasyReg will crash.
    Let's say I had 4 different stats for all 32 NFL teams... is that 128 "observations" or 32?

Sinister Cat
    Sinister Cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by roasthawg View Post
    I have a question about this program... I looked at the site and found this:

Let's say I had 4 different stats for all 32 NFL teams... is that 128 "observations" or 32?
    "Observations" means the number of rows of data... so that would be 32 I guess.