burrissa
    burrissa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Help with excel spreadsheet

I'm trying to separate a players name that has addition characters behind it. I'm also trying to get a grasp on index-match formula. Examples below.

This is how the downloaded data from pro-football reference looks like. I can do the Left-Find to eliminate everything from the \ to the right but how do you get rid of the *+ from one name and the * from the other? Do you have to use a name bridge or is there a simple formula to use? I'm trying to learn excel on my own and this is the start of my fantasy projection sheet. Thanks in advance.
    Julio Jones*+\JoneJu02
    DeAndre Hopkins*\HopkDe00
    Jarvis Landry*\LandJa00

yak merchant
    yak merchant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6170

Assuming they all have a + or a * it would be..

=LEFT(A1,(MIN(LEN(A1),IFERROR(FIND("+",A1,1),999),IFERROR(FIND("*",A1,1),999)))-1)
    Points Awarded:

burrissa gave yak merchant 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

burrissa
    burrissa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Thank you Yak that worked great for the * and + but not for the names with just a \. I fumbled my way through adding another Iferror and finding the \ and all names look good now. Once again thank you.
    Last edited by burrissa; 09-09-16 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Misprint

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Also look at text to columns command, you can specify what operators to separate if need to do a lot at once

usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

I would also use the Substitute command to get rid of the spaces...

in your players names. It is much easier to work a name with no spaces. Very easy to do.

Substitute(c4," ","")

Dave

cincy
    cincy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1224

I also download data from pro football ref. I find it easiest to click data, text to column, delimited, check other and enter /, finish