Dylan
    Dylan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

NBA statistic-based bettors, when do you start betting?

Hello all!

My friend and I were discussing this. He thinks you can start betting as soon as the season starts. I believe you need at least 10 games.

How many games into the season before you start betting?

5 games?

10 games?

20 games?

Thanks for reading.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

5 games is my minimum. Volatile results till we get to 12 or so games.

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

Not till after December.

antonyp22
    antonyp22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2528

Interestingly most people find that their data models tend to lose profitability after December

RedDevil1974
    RedDevil1974's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

The best time to bet any sport is in the first few weeks/games of a season. Its when the lines are the weakest, no one has seen the teams and they havent dropped to any middle ground where stats can be used with any definite numbers.

Just imo of course.

NFL lines tend to get really solid from weeks 4-5 onwards and NBA from about 15-20 games onwards.

blizzztik
    blizzztik's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed the lines are capped pretty poorly early on since there's no data for the season yet. It's best to bet asap assuming you're a good nba capper. If you're just following picks etc you'll run into the same problem the books do since there isn't a big sample size of data.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

if you want to compare it to the NHL, I start after each NHL team has played a certain amount of games on the road AND home.

What you should do is create your lines using statistics, and see when they become profitable. Start estimating scores after 1 home and 1 away game, then after the entire season is calculated, go back and find out where you start getting close and winning.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Excellent point Fear...It might change a sample size, but sepearating home and road is essential when making a line.