WinterRaven
    WinterRaven's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

Definition of "Line"

Ok this may be a stupid question, but what is the actual definition of a line? The reason I ask is because I've seen people give one of two definitions and it seems like the 2 definitions are different.

Definition 1: A line = the odds on a given game.

Definition 2: A line = the number of points/goals/whatever that are added to the underdog and taken away from the favourite.

It seems to me that definition 2 is the correct one because there is rarely ever just one "line" if the first definition is true since the odds that are offered to you are different for each team playing in a game (unless you get equal odds on both teams winning). Therefore the word "lines" would be the word that gets used if this were the case I would think.

Also, is the "spread" different from the line or are they the same? Wikipedia seems to say they're the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_...#Types_of_bets (see their definition of "straight bets").

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just getting conflicting information and I want to clarify.

DocterDrew
    @FanalystDrew
    DocterDrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Puck line
    Money line
    Run line
    Spread

all represent the line that separates action.
    book makers objective is to provide a line that cuts action in half to generate an even of 10 cent on each side.

the quantitive - numerical value expressed on those lines are the odds

juiced lines ones given negative odds have what's called Vigorish.

The Vig is the "tax" that keeps the bookmaker taking action.

WinterRaven

Ah ok, so the odds aren't the line. I didn't think so. Thanks.

jetsmets31
    jetsmets31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1249

Thanks

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

Quote Originally Posted by DocterDrew View Post
    Puck line

all represent the line that separates action.
    book makers objective is to provide a line that cuts action in half to generate an even of 10 cent on each side.

the quantitive - numerical value expressed on those lines are the odds

juiced lines ones given negative odds have what's called Vigorish.

The Vig is the "tax" that keeps the bookmaker taking action.
    Drew has it right. Whatever you want to call it... the line, spread, odds... whatever... this is merely the price (whether its in points or in actual money) that gets equal action on both sides of a wager.

In The Money
    In The Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2069

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    Drew has it right. Whatever you want to call it... the line, spread, odds... whatever... this is merely the price (whether its in points or in actual money) that gets equal action on both sides of a wager.
    Yes that's what the books want that way they win either way

WinterRaven

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    That makes sense. I think in my first response to Drew I still didn't quite understand what he was saying, but I re-read his response and yours and I get what people mean when they say "line" now. Thanks.