FredMadison
    FredMadison's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 194

Expected ROI of a bettor in function of the odds

Hey,

I try to solve this problem since weeks but I can't find the right method. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A bettor has made 2000 wagers on sport events with two possible outcomes. The amount he's wagered on each event is variable and ranges from $1 to $200. All the data (odds, amounts wagered, resuts) are reported in a spreadsheet.

His overall ROI on all his bets is 4%.

However, if we sort all his bets in ascending odds order and cut the spectrum of odds he has taken (which ranges from 1 to 15 say) in slices, we can see that he has a way better ROI at odds around 1.8 than he has at odds around 1.2.

My goal is to determine as precisely as possible what ROI we can expect from him at each given odds and get the results in form of a smooth chart line.

I tried a lot of different "intuitive" methods but none of them gives me satisfying results: averaging the neighboring odds, applying an exponential smoothing, cutting the spectrum of odds in slices, etc... All these give me either a too erratic incoherent line (ROI of 11% at 1.675 and ROI of -2% at 1.690, for exemple) or a too incurrate and flat line.

What method should be used in order to get the most precise picture of the ROI we can expect from this bettor at each odds?

Thanks in advance fro your help!

PS: My guess currently is that we should work directly with the column which display the amount won/lost on each wager and not the ROI. Perhaps, while keeping the same sum of total amount won, we should apportion the money won/loss on each wager in a smoother way...
    Last edited by FredMadison; 08-19-14 at 10:46 AM.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Back when I was kicking my own ass with all my own odds record keeping. I found ML odds of 1.52 won more often.
    I only kept records of 1.45 and above so I can't say about odds in the 1.2 range.

If your boy is hitting good at 1.8, only play those. Is he chasing? Using Lab lines?

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

First thing I would do is to make all the selections a flat wager to see if there is really any edge. Then I would group the flat wagers by odds group ranges to continue to see if any possible edges emerged. As mentioned in the previous post, he could be chasing and/or using labby lines.

Joe.

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

quick way, look at his line value open to close and what time he is placing his wagers. if positive then he is winning long term. If he is betting into closers succesfully, it is unlikely he'd be on an internet forum