bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

CBB Homecourt Advantage Study

This is a synopsis of an academic paper from more than a decade ago. I didn't see the full paper online, but it would be easy enough to get from a library that can get stuff from universities.

It doesn't sound very sharp, but it is all about modeling and I thought it might be of interest to some.

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=LhKBJnLJkXQ 4KnphHcmkhtMMG4h0hnh0SNLjF4Q8JzMw6b7hDpk 1!-650820450!1517079229?docId=5001659925

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I've seen a lot of these.

In the publish or perish world of academia, they'll show up and almost always have little to say. It turns out that if they do indeed have something, the author holds it back and uses the info and will not release a found advantage (I've had two of my fellow scientists admit this to me). But most of these things are so thrown together, or the math is so deep (even for me), as to be worthless.

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol what did u ujst say ^

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by pats3peat View Post
    lol what did u ujst say ^
    Pats, I said: you need to puck the PLAYERS TALK tab and go to that forum.

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Pats, I said: you need to puck the PLAYERS TALK tab and go to that forum.
    is that insulting youre doing to me , in a forum about analysis?

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

It's pretty obvious what he meant. Professors and academics won't hold a job very long unless they publish material from time to time (hence the "publish or perish" phrase that you missed). But with all the scholarship already out there, academics will often try to analyze and write about something they think is unique and has not been fully examined, so they'll do studies on stuff like this. But as Wrecktangle points out, if they come across a serious advantage in their research that can help them make money, they are unlikely to publish them and instead keep it to themselves and use it to their financial advantage. Reading these papers are a waste of time because they are nothing more than some professor trying to get a bunch of stuff published so he can get tenured, and they are unlikely to divulge anything significant they may have discovered.