Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Think tank guidelines

Two different types of theads belong in here:
    1. Anything related to mathematics and gambling
    2. Anything related to quantitative handicapping

In short, if it doesn't have numbers in it (or apply to numbers), it doesn't belong here and will be moved.
    Points Awarded:

IrishTim gave Justin7 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Aman_Dage gave Justin7 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jscar3, kate55, and oversnow

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

"Handicapping Theories, Systems, Tips, Tricks and Math"

I believe that can include more than two specific types of posts/threads.

Justin7

Maybe we should get rid of "tips". too many tips will cost players money.

Hybris
    Hybris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1471

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

This was long overdue, good ruling here.

FH

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

the reminder was for your ass fish, all that crap you been posting

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL.

The classic battles of mankind resume.

1) Numbers vs. intutition.
    2) Reason vs. gut feeling

It all works for me.

I just think Fishy is a sorry case trolling for a moderators job, having a hard time finding a following. Think tankers find him simplistic and boring, kids in the players find him out of touch and boring.

Life goes on.

I don't care about the direction of the Think Tank either way, if a topic doesn't interest me I just don't read it/click on it.
    Points Awarded:

Matt Rain gave Peep 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigDaddy gave Peep 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bread gave Peep 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

PAULYPOKER gave Peep 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

fletch49 gave Peep 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Maybe we should get rid of "tips". too many tips will cost players money.
    Don't think it just means, "Pssst! Hey buddy, I got a tip for the fourth at Belmont today." One can give a tip on a math problem, a strategy, general stuff.

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Don't think it just means, "Pssst! Hey buddy, I got a tip for the fourth at Belmont today." One can give a tip on a math problem, a strategy, general stuff.
    Agreed.

I think what I would like to restrict this forum to serious discussion on winning. Anything that doesn't achieve that (or might be intended as serious, but is just crap) should be flushed.

Willie Bee

But someone's theory on 'winning' that is dead wrong might be a good thing to discuss and expose so others don't fall for the same mistake.

Justin7

It is, as long as it's not fluff.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Thank you, Justin and Willie.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Perhaps the proper wording should be "nothing toolish."

A rule of thumb might be: if you are being a tool, don't post in the Think Tank.

To further amplify: toolish stuff should be taken elsewhere if not, indeed, kept entirely to yourself.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    kids in the players find him out of touch and boring.

Adding:

toolish.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe this post is bias and narrow minded one sided or wait the more i think about this it sounds republican

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Two different types of theads belong in here: 1. Anything related to mathematics and gambling 2. Anything related to quantitative handicapping In short, if it doesn't have numbers in it (or apply to numbers), it doesn't belong here and will be moved.
    I think this post is well written and is exact to the point of what i wanted to say

The classic battles of mankind resume.

1) Numbers vs. intutition.
    2) Reason vs. gut feeling

It all works for me.

I just think Fishy is a sorry case trolling for a moderators job, having a hard time finding a following. Think tankers find him simplistic and boring, kids in the players find him out of touch and boring.

Life goes on.

I don't care about the direction of the Think Tank either way, if a topic doesn't interest me I just don't read it/click on it.

thank you Judge justin for rudely moving my post
    PAULYPOKER

PS anybody that agrees with peeps post should go to the players talk forum and read my thread under who has the best set of rules they follow for sports betting? POST AND VOTE NOW.
    i think you will find this to be useful information *NOTE ABOVE SHORTCUT DOES NOT WORK YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THERE MANUALLY
    \
    PAULYPOKER
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 12-07-09 at 07:23 PM.

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, the "rules" post was a good example of a post that I didn't particularily like or find useful, but certainly didn't mind being here in the think tank.

I think good moderating is always less--don't make any changes unless you have to.

There was a post moved last year about buying up three points in college hoops and the value of this. That got moved to, donno why either.

I think the points you bring up about "rules" are interesting PAULYPOKER, even if they have very little to do with the way I personally gamble.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thank you peep for your input I appreciate your feed back we need more open minded posters like yourself in the SBR FORUM. After all I post to help not hate

Again i thank you
    PAULYPOKER
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 12-07-09 at 07:55 PM.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Yes, the "rules" post was a good example of a post that I didn't particularily like or find useful, but certainly didn't mind being here in the think tank.

I think good moderating is always less--don't make any changes unless you have to.

There was a post moved last year about buying up three points in college hoops and the value of this. That got moved to, donno why either.

I think the points you bring up about "rules" are interesting PAULYPOKER, even if they have very little to do with the way I personally gamble.
    Not only was the post completely useless, but it was pretty much illiterate too. Even though this forum doesn't get much traffic or volume, it's best not to have to sift through complete garbage.

1st and Ten
    1st and Ten's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can we post anything related to Qualitative Capping Theory?

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Guys come on, let's use some common sense. There are 5+ sports going on right now and the lines for some 32 bowl games were just released. Our time would be much better spent handicapping/modeling/analyzing the games than bickering about the semantics about what "belongs" in the think tank. Justin et al. are clearly just trying to clean up what was quickly turning into a circus. If it's a serious post or question about handicapping theory, math, etc. than no one is going to complain about it. But there were a handful of people who were quite obviously trying to turn the think tank into their own playground and in my estimation, that was what Justin and the other mods are trying to prevent.

twister
    twister's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    Guys come on, let's use some common sense. There are 5+ sports going on right now and the lines for some 32 bowl games were just released. Our time would be much better spent handicapping/modeling/analyzing the games than bickering about the semantics about what "belongs" in the think tank. Justin et al. are clearly just trying to clean up what was quickly turning into a circus. If it's a serious post or question about handicapping theory, math, etc. than no one is going to complain about it. But there were a handful of people who were quite obviously trying to turn the think tank into their own playground and in my estimation, that was what Justin and the other mods are trying to prevent.
    Completely agreed.

When I'm in "gambling mode", Handicappers Think Thank is where I come to. When I want to just shoot some shit, I go to Players Talk. This sub-forum has some top threads that have vastly improved my knowledge, and it is preferably if I didn't have to wade through hoardes of worthless threads to find/read them.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like someone complained about fishy spewing garbage all over the think tank.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    Completely agreed.

When I'm in "gambling mode", Handicappers Think Thank is where I come to. When I want to just shoot some shit, I go to Players Talk. This sub-forum has some top threads that have vastly improved my knowledge, and it is preferably if I didn't have to wade through hoardes of worthless threads to find/read them.
    I contend that Fish has posted some items of interest.

twister

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I contend that Fish has posted some items of interest.
    Fish, I have no problem with. In fact, as you have stated, a couple of his threads have been of some interest.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

We should look at the thread or even each post, not the poster. Good discussion here (btw, we eventually going to move this to PT right? ).

twister

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    We should look at the thread or even each post, not the poster. Good discussion here (btw, we eventually going to move this to PT right? ).
    It's inevitably going to end up there. lol

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

It would probably be a good idea to make sure all of the moderators are on the same page because there's been some pretty non-mathematical stuff moved from PT into the Think Tank since things got cleaned up.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by skrtelfan View Post
    It would probably be a good idea to make sure all of the moderators are on the same page because there's been some pretty non-mathematical stuff moved from PT into the Think Tank since things got cleaned up.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

We need a FISH tank..... and a THINK tank...... end of story...... good luck everyone

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by 1st and Ten View Post
    Can we post anything related to Qualitative Capping Theory?
    What exactly is this?

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    What exactly is this?
    oh getting a little protective and sensitive?

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by pats3peat View Post
    oh getting a little protective and sensitive?
    Pats, I'm asking a direct Q, what is 1st referring to here?

BTW, Players Talk is just around the corner, and they are talking about Tiger's Bimbos, a topic you'll do well in.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

I think he meant quantitative rather than qualitative, Wreck.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    I think he meant quantitative rather than qualitative, Wreck.
    You sure? I interpreted to ask about if "serious" qualitative handicapping (meaning looking at situational angles, injuries, etc.) questions are allowed in the tank?

Could have very well have meant quantitative, but not sure why he would be asking that as Justin said anything related to numbers is what the tank is for.

1st and Ten
    1st and Ten's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post

You sure? I interpreted to ask about if "serious" qualitative handicapping (meaning looking at situational angles, injuries, etc.) questions are allowed in the tank?

Could have very well have meant quantitative, but not sure why he would be asking that as Justin said anything related to numbers is what the tank is for.
    Both appropriate as approaches although quantitative tends to be favored when it comes to sports betting. I will share some of my thoughts in the upcoming weeks to gauge interest.

123 Last