oilcountry99
    oilcountry99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1094

I've got another challenge if there are any takers....

Conditional Formatting:
    I'm trying to get a formula that I can input into conditional formatting that will compare the value in cell E2 with the cell values in F2,G2,H2 and fill the cell which has the closest value to the value in E2.

E2 F2 G2 H2
    9 7.2 5.6 14.7

So in the example above cell F2 containing 7.2 would be filled with colour as it is the closest to the value of cell E2 which is 9

Again seems simple in theory but I can't get it working properly.

Thanks

rufflesmuncher
    rufflesmuncher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Let me know if you figure this one out. Working on my excel skills, gotta land a good job in accounting this year

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

=min(abs(f2-e2),abs(g2-e2),abs(h2,e2))

oilcountry99

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Thanks for the input, however I get the error "You've entered too many arguments for this function."

oilcountry99

Quote Originally Posted by oilcountry99 View Post
    Thanks for the input, however I get the error "You've entered too many arguments for this function."
    EXhoosier10
    I got rid of the error, but the conditional format highlights cells F2,G2,H2, instead of just F2 as this is the one closest to E2

rufflesmuncher

Let me know if you figure this one out. Working on my excel skills, gotta land a good job in accounting this year

rufflesmuncher

Dunno why that posted again. My bad

oilcountry99

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    is it supposed to say (h2,e2) as shown above or (h2-e2) ? I assume (h2-e2) because the other gave the error "You've entered too many arguments for this function."

oilcountry99

This formula for conditional format is killing me. I've been search and trying everything....it seems like a simple, common request. To highlight the value closest to a given cell value....this is the common formula I find:

=INDEX(F2:H2,MATCH(MIN(ABS(F2:H2-E2)),ABS(F2:H2-E2),0))

but it highlights all cells in the range similar to what hoosiers solution did.

If I enter this formula in a random cell it will return the correct answer, so it does work, but it won't highlight the correct cell when put into conditional formatting, highlights all cells in range F2:H2

Damn excel, definite love/hate relationship here!

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

The workbook I attached has the easiest solution I could think of. However, it might be too inflexible for your needs but there are always many ways to accomplish the same thing in Excel.

Rather than using long and complicated formulas, I find that it is much easier to troubleshoot if the individual components are calculated separately e.g. use MATCH in cell A1 to find the row, then use e.g. INDEX(A2:F2, A1). That is just a general example and not specific to your problem but that is why I made the ABS and MIN calculations in separate cells rather than making it all into one longer, harder to edit, formula.

This formula for conditional format is killing me. I've been search and trying everything....it seems like a simple, common request. To highlight the value closest to a given cell value....this is the common formula I find:

=INDEX(F2:H2,MATCH(MIN(ABS(F2:H2-E2)),ABS(F2:H2-E2),0))

but it highlights all cells in the range similar to what hoosiers solution did.

If I enter this formula in a random cell it will return the correct answer, so it does work, but it won't highlight the correct cell when put into conditional formatting, highlights all cells in range F2:H2

Damn excel, definite love/hate relationship here!
    Attached Files

oilcountry99

I attached an example of my sheet. It shows only one game of the 100's i will have. I've made several predictions or estimates as you'll see in cells f2:h2 labeled est1, est2, est3. I want to highlight the number that is the closest match to the final score of 9 in cell E2. I want to do this for both teams final score and first five inning scores. I'm hoping this example will help further. What you have done in your example works but i would need many helper cells which is doable but creates a bit of a mess.
    Attached Files

thom321

Well, it got a bit more complicated than I thought but I have attached my crack at it. The key is to enter the conditional formatting using the formula option like in the link below.

http://odyscope.com/general-excel/us...r-cells-value/

I copied the formatting down to row 356 and put a border around the section where the formatting applies.

As far as keeping a sheet clean, once I have done all my supporting calculations in columns that I don't want to see, I simply shift them off the screen or hide the columns.

I attached an example of my sheet. It shows only one game of the 100's i will have. I've made several predictions or estimates as you'll see in cells f2:h2 labeled est1, est2, est3. I want to highlight the number that is the closest match to the final score of 9 in cell E2. I want to do this for both teams final score and first five inning scores. I'm hoping this example will help further. What you have done in your example works but i would need many helper cells which is doable but creates a bit of a mess.
    Attached Files

oilcountry99

Quote Originally Posted by thom321 View Post
    Well, it got a bit more complicated than I thought but I have attached my crack at it. The key is to enter the conditional formatting using the formula option like in the link below.

http://odyscope.com/general-excel/us...r-cells-value/

I copied the formatting down to row 356 and put a border around the section where the formatting applies.

As far as keeping a sheet clean, once I have done all my supporting calculations in columns that I don't want to see, I simply shift them off the screen or hide the columns.

This works, i didn't realize it would be so complicated to achieve something that seems so simple. Maybe there is an easier way but this will serve my purpose.

Thanks for your efforts! Impressive

oilcountry99

I have a column of conditionally formatted values. The conditional format shades the cell green when certain criteria are met. I want to count all of the green cells in the column to get a total # of green cells.

Anyone know how to do this?

thom321

Assuming the structure of the sheet is the same as the one I made, rather than counting each cell that is green, count the cells that meet the condition that makes the cell highlight green. I added it for "Final score" in the workbook I have attached.

I have a column of conditionally formatted values. The conditional format shades the cell green when certain criteria are met. I want to count all of the green cells in the column to get a total # of green cells.

Attached Files

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

through code or not? Not using code - you can filter columns by color of cells, then just highlight all of those cells and in the bottom right of Excel it will tell you how many you highlighted.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

anyone still coding? looks like both of your sheets do not have any VBA in them.

thom321

To count highlighted cells, the following code works for me

Once the code has been added to a module, each function can either be used as a regular Excel function in a spreadsheet cell or as a function in other VBA code.

FIRST FUNCTION:

Function CountHighlightedCells(rngCells As Range, lColorNumber As Long, Optional bAnyColor As Boolean = False) As Long
    'Counts the number of cells in the selected range that are highlighted with the color specified using
    'lColorNumber. Use GetColorNumber function to retrieve the color number for a specified cell.

'If bAnyColor is set to True, this function will count any cell that is highlighted in any color.
    'If bAnyColor is set to True, the lColorNumber variable will be ignored regardless of what it is set to

Dim rng As Range
    Dim lCount As Long
    Dim lCellColor As Long

For Each rng In rngCells
    lCellColor = rng.Interior.Color
    If bAnyColor Then 'count cells that are highlighted with any color
    If rng.Interior.Pattern = xlNone Then
    lCount = lCount + 1
    End If
    Else 'if a specific color number should be used
    If lCellColor = lColorNumber Then
    lCount = lCount + 1
    End If
    End If
    Next

CountHighlightedCells = lCount

End Function

SECOND FUNCTION:

Function GetColorNumber(rng As Range) As Long
    'returns the color number for the specified range. Use it to get the correct color number to use
    'with CountHighlightedCells function

GetColorIndex = rng.Interior.Color

End Function

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    anyone still coding? looks like both of your sheets do not have any VBA in them.

oilcountry99

I will incorporate the vba when I get a chance. I found something similar online but was unsuccessful implementing it. I'll try your version.

oilcountry99

I have some code that brings in web data, performs some calculations and then copies and pastes results to another sheet.

Then the web data from the calculation sheet is deleted and the cells with the formulas remain. The problem I'm having is once the web data is deleted the formula results remain. So when the next loop runs and brings in the next web data set my numbers in the calculation/formula cells remain with the previous calculation results in them. So when I copy and paste to the other sheet I end up with a duplicate of what was copied and pasted the previous time.

I hope that makes sense. All I want is when each data set comes in it performs the calculations and copy and pastes the data to another sheet.

Any tips or advice as to what I may be doing wrong?

TIA

thom321

Sounds like you have calculations set to manual (xlCalculationManual) which it should be to make the code run faster. If that is the issue, insert the word Calculate after the web data has been imported but before you copy the data. So the code would be:

code to bring in web data

Calculate

code to copy data to another sheet

I have some code that brings in web data, performs some calculations and then copies and pastes results to another sheet.

Then the web data from the calculation sheet is deleted and the cells with the formulas remain. The problem I'm having is once the web data is deleted the formula results remain. So when the next loop runs and brings in the next web data set my numbers in the calculation/formula cells remain with the previous calculation results in them. So when I copy and paste to the other sheet I end up with a duplicate of what was copied and pasted the previous time.

I hope that makes sense. All I want is when each data set comes in it performs the calculations and copy and pastes the data to another sheet.

Any tips or advice as to what I may be doing wrong?

TIA

oilcountry99

thom321

thank you! that fixed it

oilcountry99

I have 3 columns

COL A has the team name
    COL K has "Home" or "Away"
    COL M has "W" or "L"

What i would like to do is calculate Home Win streak, Home Lose streak, Road Win Streak and Road Lose streak as the current season progresses. I'm able to do Win and Lost streak but what I havent' been able to do is break the streaks up into Home and Road.

Any suggestions here?

TIA

thom321

Create four new columns, "Home Win", "Home Lose", "Road Win" and "Road Lose"

For column "Home Win" set the formula to (assuming you have data in row 3):
    IF(AND(K3="Home",M3="W"),"W","L")

That gives you a Win/Loss column for Home Wins that you should be to calculate win/loss streaks on the same way you did for your original win/loss column.

Repeat for the remaining three columns, i.e. first create the win/loss data by using an IF/AND formula, then calculate win/loss streak.

oilcountry99

Quote Originally Posted by thom321 View Post
    Create four new columns, "Home Win", "Home Lose", "Road Win" and "Road Lose"

For column "Home Win" set the formula to (assuming you have data in row 3):
    IF(AND(K3="Home",M3="W"),"W","L")

That gives you a Win/Loss column for Home Wins that you should be to calculate win/loss streaks on the same way you did for your original win/loss column.

Repeat for the remaining three columns, i.e. first create the win/loss data by using an IF/AND formula, then calculate win/loss streak.
    Thanks thom321, I was on the right track with what you stated except I was only calculating the wins under 'home wins' and not the losses as well, this should help solve the issue.

The other challenge I have is all the teams results are on 1 sheet, there for need to incorporate something to start a new streak when the team changes in COL A, maybe something like IF(A3=A2,formula if true,"0")

I'll give it a whirl, thanks again.

oilcountry99

I gave this a shot and the problem is, for example under the Home Wins column:

I end up getting an L if the game is a Home Loss or a Road game. How would I eliminate the "Road" results from the "Home Wins" column?

Under the "Home Wins" column I should have a blank or a "0" as a place holder for road results.

oilcountry99

Ideally vba formulas would probably be best.

Formula(HomeWinStreak)
    Formula(HomeLossStreak)
    Formula(RoadWinStreak)
    Formula(RoadLossStreak)

Or even better 1 formula to do it all Formula(Streak)

Trick is how to write them . Maybe a4u2fear could chime in

thom321

I was a bit sloppy when writing the first response. The formula should have been:
    IF(AND(K3="Home",M3="W"),"W","")

i.e. just change the "L" to "" or 0 or whatever you want it to be.

I don't have time to write the VBA for it but maybe someone else has.

I gave this a shot and the problem is, for example under the Home Wins column:

I end up getting an L if the game is a Home Loss or a Road game. How would I eliminate the "Road" results from the "Home Wins" column?

Under the "Home Wins" column I should have a blank or a "0" as a place holder for road results.

ZenChi
    ZenChi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 708

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    Awesome thread guys. Hope I can help. Expert in excel. Also produced web programs, was on another site with an NBA tracker. Have it on www.akptracker.com. Can scrape any data off any site.

B_rad, I promise you if you took the time to do this through php and MySQL you would never use excel again. And it's completely free to do. Just download Xampp from apachefriends.org. Either way, hope I can help. Love this stuff.

Akphidelt would like to speak more with you in regards to the work you have done - I dont have private message capabilities yet so I can give email if you are interested. Thanks

b_rad_1983
    b_rad_1983's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 625

Hey guys!

Looks like I missed quite a bit

b_rad_1983

Has anyone ever had their code do so much stuff it goes to not responding?
    Over a full nhl season i need to pull in about a month at a time. it will not handle the full 6- 7 months.

thom321

b_rad_1983,

How are you importing it?

If you are using VBA then the amount of data should not matter if coded properly. However, it can take some tweaking.

If you are using formulas or queries, then it is pretty easy to overwhelm Excel so that it hangs and the way around that is to use VBA.

b_rad_1983

Hi thom321,
    I ended up re- coding my vba and seems to be working better,
    i had too much stuff out of place.

b_rad_1983

I would like to know if there is a way to only import the "Summary" table of the following link,

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pag...core63849.html

I do not what the whole page for that day, only the summer

b_rad_1983

here is my basic import layout

For gameday = 63274 To 63849

Sheets("Temp").Select
    With Sheets("Temp").QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
    "URL;http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nhl/results/2014-2015/boxscore" & gameday & ".html", Destination:= _
    Range("$A$1"))
    .Name = test
    .FieldNames = True
    .RowNumbers = False
    .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
    .PreserveFormatting = True
    .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
    .BackgroundQuery = True
    .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
    .SavePassword = False
    .SaveData = True
    .AdjustColumnWidth = True