christdog
    christdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

question on how to best use yds/pt

I've been hearing about and reading about the importance of using yds/pt as a handicapping tool in pro & ncaa football. I haven't used this stat yet, but would like to start, since we are in mid season and have a decent data set to use. I'd like to get some input on how people are using this indicator. Are most simply using totalyds/pt, or splitting them into passyds/pt and rushyds/pt? Do you compare these numbers to the cooresponding numbers for opposing defenses? Also, what am I looking for, necessarily? Am I wrong in assuming a lower yds/pt avg is a more positive indicator of an offense's ability than a higher one, and vice versa for defense? Also, Just off the top of my head, I can see where a team with strong special teams or a defenses that create turnovers can skew this statistic, but I suppose that could be viewed as a built in indicator of overall scoring ability.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    christdog

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

why bother? you are way behind the guys that really know how to use it and they will always have an edge on you.