xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Soccer wager question: Is the bet on Team A -0.5 equivalent to Team A to win?

I see odds in some books where Team A -0.5 and Team A to win have slightly different odds. One would think they are the same bets. Are these two bets equivalent? I don't want to expose myself to unnecessary risk. Thank you for the soccer knowledge.

ElCapitan
    ElCapitan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

I've wondered about this same thing.

Say Team A is -0.5, +100 but you can take the three way at +120 or something. With the +120 you expose yourself to the draw, I understand that, but if the game does end in a draw wouldn't the -0.5 lose as well? In these cases I don't know why you'd take the -0.5 for less +odds if you lose on the draw either way.

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I see odds in some books where Team A -0.5 and Team A to win have slightly different odds. One would think they are the same bets. Are these two bets equivalent? I don't want to expose myself to unnecessary risk. Thank you for the soccer knowledge.
    It's the same bet.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Sometimes you can find value just line-shopping at one book...

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

In a practical sense, no one will take that -0.5 when there's a more profitable ML option. However, people might want the +0.5, and so both are there rather than list just the +0.5..

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

It's the same bet, and yes sometimes stupid books (5dimes) have them priced quite differently.

You can actually chase pinny steam at pinny this way sometimes.

In a practical sense, no one will take that -0.5 when there's a more profitable ML option.
    huh, it's the same bet.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    huh, it's the same bet.
    Yes, but with a different price. ie: -0.5 for -106, or ML for -103. Just saying the ML price is typically slightly better than the -0.5

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Using Asian handicapping (+ or -) is actually protecting your investment in the event
    of a draw. If there is a draw you will be refunded. I always pick the draw with my soccer
    bets to come out even or a couple of bucks ahead, just in case.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

The short answer......It's the same bet...some times it may be affected based on money on each one...however, they are clearly a different bet than ML...but basically because of the +.5 ...obviously, a team on ML, and a team -.5 are the same...but obviously the other way, a team +.5 and a team ML are clearly different...but they are viewed separately by books as two separate categories...

The long, boring answer.....money movement sometimes affects these lines...but again, that's because of a certain amount of ca$h put on the +.05. If the number gets too large, they'll change it to a PICK game usually. But the short answer is, they aren't linked mathematically to the ML bets...so, they have separate/individual lines of their own away from ML lines.

When you are at a horse/dog track...you can bet an animal to win, place, show, tri, etc...sometimes, an animal to place (1st OR 2nd) gives you better odds than an animal to win. This seems counter intuative...but it's just about where the money was placed on the animal. The animal could have been bet MUCH heavier to win, than to place...so the odds of the win go down...and place could stay or go up, simply based on math formulas for their odds makings...
    Just like in this situation...the ML and the Goal Line are seperate bets...and they don't necessary effect eachother mathematically, but the money placed on once side either way would change the odds....if only slightly.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Yes, but with a different price. ie: -0.5 for -106, or ML for -103. Just saying the ML price is typically slightly better than the -0.5
    i usually see the opposite

the reason being books price a higher hold on 3ways than AH

Krtica
    Vamos a Ganar !
    Krtica's Avatar Become A Pro!

-0.5 is the same as "the winner on A team" or ML.
    But -0.5 line has different odd becouse the bookie musty follow asian movements.
    Also if the odds on -0.5 and ML on that team are different that means the limits are different.
    Usually you can put more money on -0.5 spread more than on ML... becouse of asian related handicapp...